Chapter Ten: 4 AM

Cut from a different cloth, take pride in results

Anytime she wanna dip I'm providin' the sauce

You on side of the boss, so you kind of the boss

You keep playin' with me, I end up signing your boss

4 AM (2 Chainz)

Kae:

Night walks became our "thing". What I mean is that I looked forward to the trails Andrei and I took at four am. It was pretty early for a night walk, but that couldn't be helped Andrei worked the rest of the day and didn't come back to the estate until that time.

Hanging out with Andrei was super comforting, and he quickly made me feel comfortable around him. There was something about the aura he carried around that just pulled me towards him. During our walks, I learned little pieces about his personality that I never knew before. Like, how he went to college and majored in Linguistics and Information Technology, but unfortunately had to drop out to help his brother run the Bratva.

He was skilled in multiple languages like German, Spanish, Korean, French, and Romanian. Andrei was even kind enough to teach me a couple of words in those styles as well as Russian, so I didn't feel left out during some conversations. It sure helped, but I wasn't an expert in the language that was for sure.

"Okay, now say...krolik," Andrei said as we sat by the pond watching the ducks slowly wade in the water.

I cleared my throat; my cheeks heated up quickly as I prepared myself to butcher this word now.

"Krolik?" I tried my best at staying it, and Andrei just chuckled.

"You are getting better." He informed me.

I cocked my head to the side, "What does that word mean?" I asked him.

Andrei was silent for a moment before speaking again, "It means...bunny." He stated.

"Bunny?" I questioned.

He nodded.

"Why did you teach me that word?" I asked him. I've learned how to say table, chair, bathroom, where am I, but never an animal.

Andrei looked away and shrugged, "I don't know....you kind of remind me of one." He said.

I was a bit confused.

"Do I look like one?" I instantly touched my face wondering if I did look like the said animal. I never really thought I looked much like anything...just Kae. But I guess people thought otherwise.

Andrei quickly turned around to face and shook his head frantically. "No! I meant...your behavior reminds me of one." He cleared his throat and began picking at pieces of grass that lay beside us. "I used to have a pet bunny named Minnie...she was pretty reserved and always just stared up at me curiously. Kind of like you do. But she was always willing to play with me, you know?" He cleared his throat again.

"Never mind that...it was a long time ago. I think I was about six or something." He shook his head and turned back to the lake.

I smiled softly, "That's a cute story. I never had a pet, I always wanted a puppy or something, but I guess I grew out of it." I shrugged and closed my eyes.

As I sat down on the grass, I slowly took in the cold air that flowed through my nostrils and down into my lungs, it was a refreshing smell, which was why I loved the late winter weather. It was the best. It was pretty cold to be outside, but both Andrei and I didn't seem to mind much.