Mermaid

The scientist's footsteps hastened as he scrambled away from the lab. 

"It's not real... It's not real..." He muttered to himself, raking a hand through his unruly hair.

But yet, it was. He had created a monster and what was he left to do but face the consequences. 

~

Pulling strands of DNA from all sorts of creatures. He wound them together and managed the physics of it all. She was real.

He had bred a mermaid, from scratch. But that was unnatural, he had just went against the laws of nature. He had created a monster.

But the smooth, fair skin of the mermaid didn't seem like that of a monster's. Or her long, curled lashes. Her plump, pink lips. Her rose-dusted cheeks and iridescent scales that littered her cheek bone. She did not seem like a monster at all. 

Then she woke up.

He never intended to wake her up. But then he had. 

And she was so much more than he could have ever imagined. 

The naivety in her voice, the life in her eyes, the beauty in each breath she took. Nature said she was a monster, but to him, she was the farthest thing from it. 

But what happens when people start noticing his suspicious behaviour and his sketchy laboratory?

Well, I guess he's going to have to pay for his mistakes.