Chapter 25

Third Person

"I don't think he's anywhere near here." the bubblegum coloured hedgehog sighed as she held onto her hammer tightly.

"Why would he run off like that? Sometimes I don't understand that fox." Silver said as he looked towards the purple cat beside him. "What do you think Blaze?" she hummed while closing her eyes momentarily.

"I think Shadow startled him." her golden eyes shining brightly as she looked towards the ebony hedgehog in the lead.

"I didn't startle him." Shadow blankly stated as he held a loose grip on his gun. He didn't look back at the gang as Rouge smiled a little.

"We all know you have a tendency to scare others Sunshine so you shouldn't deny it." she placed her chainsaw over one shoulder. Shadow huffed but didn't say anything to her statement. The gang had tried to look for the two tailed fox as best as they could with no luck. They had some close calls with Fleetway and Darkspine as they continued to put the buildings on fire but couldn't find Tails anywhere.

"I say that fox is still working with Sonic." the red echidna mumbled to himself as he was the one bringing up the rear with his rifle loaded and ready to be shot. Amy looked at him in shock.

"How could you say that about him!? Sure Tails lead Sonic straight to us in his mind but he must've had a reasonable explanation for why he did it. Maybe Sonic threatened to kill him if he didn't do what he was told. Or Tails was trying to help us and Sonic followed him." she looked at Rouge who was beside her as she shrugged.

"Can't argue with that Knuckie." she turned back around just as Knuckles glared at her for the nickname.

"Would you stop that?" he asked

"Stop what? I'm not doing anything but trying to find the little darling." she held one hand out to prove her point as the red coloured Mobian gave a slight growl. The purple cat and silver hedgehog glanced behind them to see what was going on but immediately turned back around, not wanting to get involved. Shadow completely ignored them as his gaze traveled from one building to the next.

"Can you stop fighting the both of you? It won't help us if you fight." the pink hedgehog pleaded to the bat and echidna to stop their bickering and with one last look, Rouge turned back around and did just that. All of a sudden, Shadow stopped as his ear twitched.

"Shadow-"

"Shh!" Shadow hushed Silver as his ear twitched again. His head turned while both of his ears swiveled and then twitched once they were pointing the same direction. "This way!" he half whispered, half yelled as he ran into one of the buildings. The gang looked at each other before following the ebony hedgehog and they hid while wondering what was going on.

"Shadow whats wrong?" Rouge asked as his eyes narrowed and before he could answer, a blue blur came and stopped revealing the cobalt hedgehog himself. Sonic looked around and then went to the opposite building and searched around. The gang all stayed in silence as they eagerly and fearfully watched the building Sonic went into. A few more minutes passed then he came out with an emerald which he stuffed into his quills.

"Six down, one to go." he muttered to himself. He closed his eyes and once they snapped open, he took off again in a flash of blue. All eyes watched the cobalt hedgehog leave until he was fully out of sight and once he was, sighs of relief sounded out from everyone.

"That was a close one." Knuckles said as he ran his hand through his dreadlocks.

"I agree." Blaze nodded and Amy beamed at Shadow.

"Thanks Shadow." she said. Shadow gave her a side glance before his eyes went back to watching the outside, still cautious if one of the killer hedgehogs were out there.

"Hey, what are we waiting for?" Silver asked as Shadow still hasn't moved a muscle. "Shadow?" the ebony hedgehog stood up straight as his eyes narrowed further.

"Why would that hedgehog want the emeralds for?" Shadow mumbled under his breath.

"I dunno. Maybe he wants more power?" Silver stated as he shrugged and Knuckles deadpanned while looking at him.

"Thanks for stating the obvious." he said and Silver opened his mouth but was interrupted by Shadow laying on the ground.

"Get down!" he half yelled, half whispered and the gang ducked down just as Sonic came back and stopped in front of the building they were in. He looked towards it and scratched his head.

"Huh... two emeralds wouldn't be this close together..." he started to walk into the building but didn't see the gang once he stepped in. "Now... where is that-" he was interrupted once he turned to Shadow and the ebony hedgehog pinned him against the wall. "Shadow?" he asked out of slight disbelief wondering how he was still alive. Everyone came into Sonic's eyesight as he could only stare at them.

"Yeah, that's right. We're back from the dead." Knuckles said as he stepped off to the side, getting a good aim directly at the cobalt's head.