Chapter Thirty-Three

'What are you reading?' Cece poked her nose in my personal space and read the title out loud. 'Why are you reading about mythical creatures?'

Because I am one. 'It just seemed interesting. I found them at this small bookshop yesterday.'

Cece sat back thoughtfully. 'You know, I remember I had an Irish friend in primary school who used to tell me stories of Banshees.'

She probably was one. 'Like what?' I closed my book and leaned in a little. I loved a good ghost story.

'Well, she used to say that when her grandma was a young girl their home was bombed in the war. They had to move homes, so they bought this cheap one. It was all they could afford at the time.'

I nodded along, encouraging her to continue.

'The house was very old. Rickety, dusty. It hadn't been used in ages and there were these creepy photos on the walls of the previous family who owned it. They restored the house as best as they could, but at night her grandma would hear awful wailing that echoed throughout the house. She was the only one who seemed to be able to hear it. The family did notice things going missing though.'

'Wailing?'

Cece smiled. 'That's what a Banshee actually is- it's a woman ghost who wails at night. Anyway, one night the grandma went to go to the kitchen for some water and saw her. She saw the Banshee. The Banshee was pale, see through. She was young and with a tortured look on her face like she was in pain. A moment later she was gone, but her grandma didn't sleep that night. A few months later, they moved house. But her grandma would never forget.'

By the end of Cece's story I had chills. That was spooky stuff.

'Do you think it was true?' I asked her. Cece got a thoughtful look on her face.

'I think I do. It's scary to think things like Banshee's are real in this world, but they have to be. How else do you explain the strange shit that goes on?'

'I mean, it could be a trick of the mind?' I suggested. If she felt this way about ghosts I wonder if she would be able to handle the fact that she was friends with a Mermaid. Probably not.

Cece considered that. 'It could be. But strange stuff happens all the time. The spirit has to go somewhere, and I believe there's only one world. Our world, no alternate reality of heaven or hell so then where does the spirit go? Nowhere. It stays with the living.'

'A valid point.' I used. 'I actually do agree with you. I'm not religious but there's just too much weird, strange phenomena around to say that nothing's real.'

'Exactly, I think,'

'Yo Cece! It's your turn to cook!' Naomi yelled.

'Coming!' Cece rolled her eyes playfully and I laughed before she got up and headed towards the kitchen.

I was about to continue reading, when I heard an insistent pounding on the front door. I mentally groaned. What now?

Opening the door, I was surprised to see a cross looking Cora. I hadn't seen her in a few days, but she looked the same. Wavy pink hair with a flower crown and a jumpsuit on. 'Hi Cora,'

'We need to talk. Now.' She snapped at me.

I recoiled at her bad mood and stepped outside, shutting the door behind me so no one could hear us speaking. 'Yes?'

'How could you?' She demanded.

'How could I what?'

'Team up with a Merman!' She almost shouted. Every inch of her was closed off and guarded from me. She must have seen me with Noah at the beach.

'Cora,' I started urgently. 'It's not what you think I,'

'I know you had an issue with the fighting. I thought you had come around! Loyalty and all that! You lied to me!'

I felt my confidence draining. I didn't want her to hate me. I thought she was my friend. Cora had helped me with everything. 'I am so sorry,'

'Save it! I'm sick of you and your preachy attitude!'

Now, I was getting angry. 'My preachy attitude? You're the one claiming to be a community and yet you go around and give Mermen a hard time, willing to kill them, because you're too stubborn to see the truth!'

'How dare you!?' She hissed at me. 'You may be a prophecy child but you know nothing!'

'Nothing? I know that the Merman I was talking too is named Noah. He's got a past and future like every one of us does! He doesn't want the fighting either!'

'You still shouldn't have gone behind my back!'

'You gotta do what you gotta do- especially when everyone's being a stubborn ass.'

She bit her lip. 'Aqua, the fighting,'

'has to stop.' I interrupted her. 'Why do you all want death so badly anyway?'

'We're protecting ourselves!' Cora yelled at me. I winced at her shrill tone. 'You can't trust them! Like Kalum!'

'Kalum has always been a bad person even to his own people!' I protested.

'How could you possibly know that?'

'Noah told me.' I glared at her, daring her to say another bad word about him. He had done nothing but help me.

Cora scoffed and laughed sarcastically. 'One day with a Merman and you're ready to jump sides!'

'I'm not picking either side- both sides are wrong!' I exploded. 'That's the fucking point Cora! Both sides are wrong and blindly following orders isn't a good thing! Think for your damn self!'

There was silence. Neither of us wanted to speak. Cora was torn between loyalty and truth. The fact was, no one wanted to be that one person to be seen as a 'betrayer'. The social wrath they risked and rejection they may face was too much.

She looked down, almost in shame. 'Will this make you happy? Not to fight with us.'

'What?' I asked in incredulity.

'You've clearly made up your mind about where you stand. If trying to stop this war will make you happy, then I won't report you or betrayal.' She explained. I was silent. 'If you think you can succeed, I suppose you should try. I hope for your sake, it goes your way.'

I smiled bitterly. 'If it does go my way are you going to suddenly act like I was right the whole time.' I muttered.

Cora shook her head. 'I don't know what is right. If you succeed in uniting us- I will congratulate you. I will always remember your betrayal though.'

I scoffed at her. 'You're being a bit dramatic don't you think?'

'Loyalty is very important in our culture Aquamarine. No matter the right or wrong.'

'What about thinking for yourself Cora?'

She shook her head. 'I'm not sure anymore. I think I will need time, Aqua. Remember, this is how I've been taught to think my whole life. I can probably forgive you and apologise to you. In time.'

I understood where she was coming from. It annoyed me, but I understood. So, I would accept this and the day she came back to me as my friend, was the day I would hug her and say sorry over and over for pushing her so much. For now, though, we would be at odds.

'I get that.' I whispered. 'I need time too, but one day I will celebrate with you.'

'I hope so.' She muttered and walked off gloomily.

I drew in a deep breath. Once more, I was reminded of the immense pressure that winning this war placed on my shoulders.

I now had one more reason, to keep my friendship with Cora. To prove to her not everything we're taught is correct.