Flaw in the Plan

Ashlyn was straightening when the high cold voice echoed through the walls and floor.

"Harry Potter is dead."

Everyone froze.

 "He was killed as he ran away, trying to save himself while you lay down your lives for him. We bring you his body as proof that your hero is gone."

It was as though everyone forgot how to speak.

"The battle is won. You have lost half of your fighters. My Death Eaters outnumber you, and the Boy Who Lived is finished. There must be no more war. Anyone who continues to resist, man, woman, or child, will be slaughtered, as will every member of their family. Come out of the castle now, kneel before me, and you shall be spared. Your parents and children, your brothers and sisters will live and be forgiven, and you will join me in the new world we shall build together."

There was silence in the grounds and from the castle.

It was McGonagall who marched to the huge doors and threw them open. The sight that met their eyes was horrible. 

Death Eaters stood in a row behind Voldemort, who's snake-like face showed nothing but mad elation. Hagrid was amongst them, sobbing uncontrollably, holding the limp figure of Harry gingerly in his arms as though he Harry was a fragile piece of fine china that would shatter if he dared hold him tighter.

"NO!" McGonagall gave a heart-wrenching scream.

Bellatrix laughed gloatingly from Voldemort's side, taking glory in McGonagall's despair.

The other survivors of the battle ran outside to see the truth for themselves.

"No!"
"No!"
"Harry! HARRY!"

Ron's, Hermione's, and Ginny's voices were worse than McGonagall's.

Draco's eyes found her. He was expecting her to cry silently or gaze in disbelief, but she had that determined look in her eyes, as she stared at Potter, as though waiting for him to rise up and fight the Dark Lord. But Potter was gone. He was dead. It was done. They had lost. He had chosen the losing side, he always knew it. But somehow, she made him want to stay. 

He always knew they would lose, but she gave him hope. Hope for better days. Well, at least he was with her this time. He didn't have to worry about her hating him when he finally died. 

Draco wanted to go to her, he wanted to hold her and comfort her just the way she did for him. But his feet didn't move. 

"SILENCE!" cried Voldemort, and there were a bang and a flash of bright light, and the silence was forced upon them all. 

"It is over! Set him down, Hagrid, at my feet, where he belongs!"

Shaking, Hagrid obeyed.

"You see?" said Voldemort, striding back and forth around the place Harry lay.

 "Harry Potter is dead! Do you understand now, deluded ones? He was nothing, ever, but a boy who relied on others to sacrifice themselves for him!"

"He beat you!" yelled Ron, and the charm broke, and the defenders of Hogwarts were shouting and screaming again until a second, more powerful bang extinguished their voices once more.

"He was killed while trying to sneak out of the castle grounds," said Voldemort, and there was relish in his voice for the lie, "killed while trying to save himself —"

But Voldemort broke off.

Neville had launched himself at Voldemort. 

It was with pride that Ashlyn watched him, and she was sure it was the same emotion that ran in the others, albeit in various degrees.