FORTY

"I thought you're coming? JK--But, we talked about it son--- hello? Hello? JK? Did he just hung up on me?"

Jasmine and I stared at Aunt Annaly as she fumes over the phone at JK. It seems that he's not going home.

"I'll call Uncle Bob---" and she dialled again. "Why is he unattended? My goodness!"

"Mom, if JK isn't coming to the party, I'm not going too." Jasmine said which made Auntie angrier.

"What?! No, Jasmine! You are coming with me," and she went upstairs.

Jasmine sighed and slumped onto the sofa. "It's your fault, Rose."

I gaped at her, "My fault?"

"You fought with JK, didn't you?" she gave me an eyebrow raise.

"I did not," I said, standing up. "I honestly don't know what is happening to your brother!" I started to walk to the stairs.

Jasmine spoke in an undertone, "Ever since you came, JK had been like that. You should not have lived here."

I looked back at her. That is thr thing I hoped I would not hear from anyone, that I have turned JK's life in chaos. That me being in this house resulted to an unpeaceful relationship between JK and his mom.

I bit my lip and went to my room. There's no use defending myself from Jasmine. She's telling the truth, and it's right time I accept it.

I have dozed off for some minutes when I heard knocks on my door. I got up just as Aunt Annaly entered. I smiled at her.

"Rosie dear, I talked to Uncle Bobby." She sat beside me. "He told me JK went to the station but came back, insisting he'd stay until the holiday break is over."

I looked down. "I'm sorry."

"Oh, no, sweetie, why are you sorry? It's not your fault. JK is..." Auntie sighed, "well my son is apparently undergoing puberty again." She laughed and I looked up at her. "Don't let yourself worry about it okay? I'm just telling you this because I know you miss him."

I just nodded. I don't know how to respond. If only Auntie know what has gone between me and her son...

"Anyway, you told me you're not going to the party?"

Ah, I have mentioned this to her upon her return from shopping.

"Yes, Auntie. I will spend the night with Sue and Elise," I said.

"Okay then," she caressed my hair. "But tomorrow, I will be asking for your help with the pies?"

"Sure, Auntie."

Aunt Annaly went out and I was left wondering about why JK suddenly decided not to come back. I went to my bedside table and saw the gift I bought yesterday. It's a bracelet that I saw online. It's handmade, and I think it will look good on his arm.

But it seems I won't be able to give it to him this Christmas.

I hope he's okay...

****CHRISTMAS DAY

"Jasmine! Come down here!" Auntie shouted from the end of the stairs. I gave her the car keys. "Thanks, dear. What time are your friends coming?"

"Later at 6pm, Auntie."

Jasmine came looking irritated. "Mom, why is Rose Anne allowed not to come, and I am not?"

"Because--" Auntie smiled at me, "--Rose Anne has a date. Okay? So go to the car and behave."

Jasmine gave me a glare and went out, stomping her feet.