FORTY-TWO

JK's POV

"Bro! I just can't believe it---I am open-minded but you cohabita---"

I faced Jim with a frown. "Can you stop using the term? We are not doing that--" I turned my back just as he smirked. "I told you perfectly well last night that she is just living with us because her mom is my mom's friend."

"Alright, alright! I got it. Well, I didn't see her when I first came to your house," he walked beside me.

"She's in her room." I looked up at the high-rise apartment, then at the information on my phone. This must be it.

"So you don't share room---" I faced him again and he zipped his mouth. "Fine, I was just joking."

"Don't be malicious, okay?" I said and went in. Jim followed me.

A man in his fifties greeted us by the entrance then led us to the lobby. He must be the landlord.

"Good day, young lads. I assume you were the one who contacted me?" he asked me and I nodded. "Ah. Right. I'm Mr. Garry Jimenez, my brother is the landlord. But he's currently abroad so it is my job to act as the building manager. Now, let me accompany you to your unit."

We followed him. The unit is at the 15th floor.

"It's not that huge but it's perfect for a young man like you," Mr. Jimenez said as we tour the room. "Two bedrooms, one kitchen and dining area, one bathroom, and a receiving area for your guests."

"It's big enough for me." It's not fully furnished, but I know I can manage. I went to open the curtains. The view is quite good too.

"I received your deposit and two-month rent," Mr. Jimenez gave me the keys. "If you want anything, feel free to contact me with the number I gave you or just pay a visit at room 113. That's the office."

"Thank you."

"Well now, I'll take my leave."

The moment he left, Jim sat down the sofa and turned on the TV. "You have a big house, bro. Why rent a small apartment like this?"

I went to the kitchen area. There's no wall dividing this area from the small living room, just a kitchen counter which I can use a table too. "It feels suffocating." I opened the cupboard. "At home, I mean."

"Why? Your house is big---wait, don't tell me it's about Rose--"

"Leave her out of this. I don't care whether she'll live permanently in that house," I turned on the stove. It's functional. "It's my mother I can't stand."

"Aaaaah, rebelling, are you?" Jim got up and went to the fridge. "Bro. You know, you should buy supplies." He said while grimacing at the empty compartments. "Let's fill this up with beer, meat, ready-to-cook snacks... When are you moving?"

"Right after New Year. I also found a part-time job, so I can pay the rent after two months."

Jim tapped my back, "Being the independent guy eh? Bro, I support you 100% since I am your only friend, but let me tell you. It's not fun to live doing the cooking, the laundry, cleaning the house, buying groceries---"

"I know," I said. But it's better than having someone try to take control of my life. Also...

I went back to the window and looked outside. I don't want to give Rose Anne more trouble. I know it's hard for her too, to see me and my mother fight. She's blaming herself, and I don't want to hurt her anymore.

"Bro, by the way, did Rose Anne know about this?"

I put the curtain down again, then looked at Jim. "No. You're the first one to know this."