TWENTY-TWO

I don't know how much I've cried.

It's already past 11pm and my eyes are so painful from crying. I'm here in the living room with JK and Jasmine. Aunt Annaly has left for an immediate flight to Paris.

My mom had a car accident. They said the injury is minor, but she broke her left leg, and needs to be hospitalized for atleast a month.

"Jaz, you can go to your room and sleep. It's already near midnight," JK told his sister who scratched her eyes and obeyed.

I smiled at her when she looked at me. That kid, even though she always rolls her eyes at me, she stayed with me tonight the whole time.

"Rose Anne," JK said, standing from his seat, "you should sleep."

I shook my head. I looked up at him, and my eyes teared up again. I wasn't speaking when I arrived, I just cried and cried. My voice croaked, "I can't." I put my palms on my face and stifled the sob. I'm scared, so scared that I would lose Mom like Dad. I think I couldn't stand it if she left me too.

"You didn't have dinner yet," he said.

"You can go sleep. I'm alright here," I took a deep breath to compose myself and removed my hands from my face, "Thank you for accompanying me."

But when I thought he'd go too, he didn't. Instead, JK sat down beside me and placed a hand on my back. His palm felt warm, like he's comforting me.

I looked at him, and he kind of smiled. But it was a quick smile and he looked at the floor immediately. I sighed. "I'm... I'm scared, JK."

He didn't speak, but I felt like he's listening. So I continued.

"I cannot lose my mom, I wouldn't stand it," my eyes teared up again. I blinked to prevent the tears. "When I heard about mom, I felt so helpless, that I can't be with her... And that... that I am alone."

"You're not alone," he said. "I'll stay with you."

I sniffed, "I'm grateful."

"My father left when I was seven," JK said in a low voice. I looked a him in shock. It's the first time he's going to talk about his Dad. I didn't ask him or Auntie before and I don't know the story. Now he's telling me. "He left for another woman, see, but I don't resent him. He just went after the one he really loves. When my father left, Mom left too. She needs to work for me. That's where Mom met Jasmine's dad, but they divorced. She lived abroad with Jasmine and I was left alone to fend for myself."

This moment, I can see the real JK. It's the first time I'm seeing deep emotions from him. He looks so sad, but there's a smile on his face--- a sad smile. And it pierces my heart.

"I know how it feels to be alone," he looked at me, "and I won't let you feel it."

I was literally shocked as I stare at him. I don't know if I heard it correctly or  is it just my imagination?

"So don't be scared, Mom will take care of Aunt Rhea. She'll be fine. And..." He held my head and let me laid on his shoulder. "I will not leave you alone."

I'm lost for words. Like, I am now veeeery close to JK and this is the closest I've been. My heart is thumping so fast and loud I'm afraid he'd hear it.

"You can rest, I will wait for news from mom," he tapped my shoulder.

I admit I felt comforted. And it's all thanks to this guy. I sniffed and closed my eyes. As I feel his warmth, I feel secured.

----Van's POV

"Just tell me the address!" I insited for the nth time to Elise and Sue. We are here on the sidewalk, arguing for an hour since Rose Anne left after the news about her mom.