A Year of Willpower

Riri spends the next year working harder than she's ever worked before. With Kyojuro by her side, she stays motivated. She suffered many injuries and obstacles, but she never let it stop her. The support she received from the people she loved was the reason she was able to achieve a goal bigger than herself. She has made it to Final Selection.

Riri wakes up next to Kyojuro. He looks at her and admires her beauty. She's still just as stunning as the day they met. She looks at him and reaches over to kiss his cheek. He smiles. Suddenly Shinobu's crow arrives at the cabin. It leaves a letter at the door. Riri gets up to go retrieve it. She sits at the kitchen table and opens the letter.

"Dear Riri, words cannot describe how proud I am of you. Rengoku has updated me on all your hard work, and it's pretty clear that this is what you're destined to do. I look forward to seeing you at my mansion again. I hope there's time between Final Selection and your first mission to see you. Good luck Riri. You've made it this far, don't stop now. Love, Shinobu."

Riri smiles at the letter. She folds it up and tucks it away.

Kyojuro enters the kitchen. "Well done, Riri."

Riri runs over to hug him.

"You're the best trainor, mentor, and boyfriend I could ever ask for."

Kyojuro smiles. "It's time for you to pack for Final Selection!"

Riri has the most excited look on her face. "I'm ready!"

Kyojuro helps Riri pack up her stuff, and he also packs his stuff away too. The two of them step outside and take one last look at the cabin. Kyojuro puts his hands on Riri's shoulders.

"I look forward to seeing you after Final Selection! You're capable of anything you put your mind to!"

"I love you Kyojuro Rengoku." Riri says.

"I love you most." Kyojuro replies.

Kyojuro pulls Riri in for a passionate kiss. He wraps his arms around her and pulls her body closer to his. Riri stands on her tiptoes and grabs Kyojuro's face as they continue to kiss. Neither of them want to stop. Kyojuro doesn't have a doubt in his mind that Riri will make it through Final Selection. She's ready and nothing can stop her.

The two of them pull away from the kiss and Riri kisses his cheek.

"I'll see you soon!" She exclaims.

Kyojuro smiles and waves to her as she heads out to go to Final Selection. A happy tear rolls down his cheek.

Kyojuro spends the rest of the day traveling back to the headquarters. He thinks about Riri the entire time. When he arrives he puts all of his stuff in his room and heads toward the Butterfly Mansion. He knocks on the door and Shinobu answers.

"Rengoku!" She exclaims.

"Hello!" Kyojuro says.

"Come in!"

Shinobu guides Kyojuro to the lounge area. She sits down on the sofa and Kyojuro sits on one directly across from it. Kyojuro notices some bowls of rice on the coffee table and helps himself.

"Delicious!"

"How's Riri doing?" Shinobu asks.

Kyojuro smiles. "She has a lot of willpower! I couldn't be prouder!"

"I'm confident she'll make it through Final Selection." Shinobu states.

"I couldn't agree more!" Kyojuro says.

He stuffs some more rice in his mouth.

"Delicious!"

Suddenly Tengen and Giyu burst through the door to the lounge. Tengen takes a seat next to Shinobu, and Giyu just stands by the door.

"Hello Uzui, Tomioka." Shinobu says.

Tengen waves and Giyu ignores.

"How was your romantic getaway with Riri?" Tengen asks playfully.

Shinobu gasps. "It wasn't a getaway. They were training together."

"I knew that already." Tengen replies rolling his eyes.

Kyojuro chuckles. "It was great! She really impressed me and I enjoyed spending time with her!"

"How flamboyant!" Tengen exclaims.

Kyojuro has the happiest look on his face. He can't wait to see Riri after Final Selection.

"Did you guys have sex yet?" Tengen asks.

Kyojuro's face turns a bright red.

"Uzui!" Giyu yells.

Tengen laughs.

"You don't have to answer that Rengoku." Shinobu says.

She looks angry.

"You don't need to be obnoxious everywhere you go." Giyu says to Tengen.

"At least I have a personality, Tomioka." Tengen replies.

Giyu looks at him with disgust before leaving the room.

"What brought you guys here anyway?" Shinobu asks.

"We were here to meditate with Kanae. I would've preferred if Tomioka didn't come." Tengen says while crossing his arms and rolling his eyes.

"You need to be more appropriate when you're in the presence of a fellow Hashira, as well as when you're in the home of someone else." Shinobu says.

"You need to chill out a little bit Kocho!" Tengen playfully remarks as he gets up to leave.

Shinobu rolls her eyes.

"I'm sorry you had to see that." Shinobu says.

"It's alright!" Kyojuro replies.

"I don't know why Uzui is so interested in your romantic life." Shinobu says.

"I'm not sure either. However, I do have something I want to talk to you about." Kyojuro explains.

"What seems to be the issue? Is everything alright?"

Kyojuro nods his head. "Everything is perfect! I just wanted to let you know that I'm planning on proposing to Riri after Final Selection!"

Shinobu gasps. She squeals with excitement. "Congratulations Rengoku! What made you decide this?"

"With both of us being a part of the Corps now, our lifespan is uncertain. Spending this past year with Riri has been such a breath of fresh air. I fall in love with her more and more every day. She is the woman for me. I want to marry her while we're both in good health and have the opportunity." Kyojuro explains.

Shinobu nods her head. "I think you're making a great decision."

The next few days go by. Riri made it through Final Selection, received her uniform, and chose the ore for her sword. It is expected to arrive at the Butterfly Mansion today.

Riri wakes up and jumps out of bed as quickly as possible. She arrived at the Butterfly Mansion late last night while everyone else was asleep. She runs to Shinobu's room and knocks on the door. Shinobu opens it and her jaw drops.

"RIRI!" Shinobu exclaims as she pulls her in for a hug.

The two of them cry in each other's arms.

"I missed you so much!" Riri says.

"I missed you too." Shinobu exclaims.

The two continue to hug tight. It really has been a while.

Suddenly there is a knock on the front door.