The Corps Comes First

Kyojuro, Shinobu, and Riri all make it home. Kyojuro reports to Ubuyashiki immediately.

"Rengoku..." Ubuyashiki begins.

Kyojuro bows his head.

"I know you had good intentions, however, you put Riri and Akemi in more danger by being there. You were a distraction to them, and a member of the Corps lost their life." Ubuyashiki explains.

"I understand, Master." Kyojuro replies.

"I know you do, and I trust you'll take away something valuable from this experience. I need you to trust me. When I give you an order, it's for the benefit of the Corps. Do not misuse your title as a Hashira. It can be taken from you at any moment. I love you Rengoku, but this behavior cannot be tolerated, and I don't want to see you pull something like this ever again."

"Right!" Kyojuro replies.

"Please be on your way. I'm sorry this had to happen." Ubuyashiki says.

Kyojuro leaves and heads to the Butterfly Mansion. Riri and Shinobu are sitting in the lounge.

"What happened?" Shinobu asks.

"There are no consequences, besides Akemi's death." Kyojuro replies.

Riri sighs. "I don't think she would've made it either way. It's not your fault."

"I'm sorry for being selfish, Riri." Kyojuro says.

Riri walks up to him. She holds his face in her hands.

"It's okay. Please keep the Corps your number one priority." She says.

She kisses him lightly. Kyojuro blushes.

"I'll give you two some time." Shinobu says as she walks out.

Kyojuro and Riri sit down. Kyojuro puts his arm around Riri. She lays her head on his shoulder.

"I can't wait to marry you!" Kyojuro exclaims.

Riri smiles. She snuggles in closer.

"Me too, Kyojuro."

The next morning, Kyojuro wakes up to his Kasugai crow squawking in his face. He turns around and turns on the lamp next to his bed.

"Follow me! You have a new assignment!" The crow says.

Kyojuro gets up. He puts on his haori and uniform.

"May I say goodbye to Riri first?" He asks.

"No! You must begin your mission immediately!"

"Alright!" Kyojuro exclaims.

He feels disappointed, but he realizes that his duties as a Hashira need to be top priority. It's what Riri would want, and it's the right thing to do. He follows his crow and begins heading in the direction of his destination.

After Riri does her hair and puts on her uniform, she heads downstairs.

"I'm going to go see Kyojuro!" She says as she walks out the door.

"Have fun!" Aoi says.

Riri heads down the path to the headquarters. She runs into Giyu.

"Good morning, Giyu!" She says.

"Morning." Giyu replies.

"How have you been doing lately?" Riri asks.

"Fine. How about you?" Giyu replies.

"I'm doing pretty good. I'm so excited to get married soon. I'm off to see Kyojuro right now!"

"Oh, Rengoku left early this morning on a new assignment." Giyu replies.