Unfortunate News

Kyojuro makes sure to stay close by to Senjuro. He doesn't want him to get hurt. He worries for his brother. He doesn't trust that Shinjuro is treating him the right way. He can't even treat himself the right way.

It's now later in the evening. Shinjuro is sitting inside the entrance of their home, drinking. Kyojuro approaches him. He motions to Senjuro to come too. The two of them sit behind their father.

"I have news that I'd like both of you to hear." Kyojuro explains.

Shinjuro cackles. He continues chugging the bottle of sake.

Kyojuro clears his throat. "This past year and a half has been very eventful. I've worked really hard and I even gained the credentials to train other Demon Slayers. On my first assignment as a Hashira, I met a girl. Her name is Riri. She's a very passionate and driven woman. She's kind, outgoing, and the type of person I strive to be like every day. I began training her, and she is now an official part of the Corps. Through this process, I began to fall in love with her. A soul like hers is something I want in my life forever. We are now engaged to be married, and I couldn't be happier!!"

Senjuro smiles. Shinjuro turns around. He approaches Kyojuro and gets in his face.

"You damn fool! You lack talent and deserve nothing! Riri should burn in hell for falling in love with a dumbass like you!"

Senjuro gasps. Kyojuro gets closer to his father's face.

"You will never speak of Riri like that. Do not disrespect me, Riri, my work as a Hashira, or her work as a Demon Slayer, ever."

Shinjuro pushes Kyojuro down. He kicks him in the stomach. Kyojuro stands up. He looks at his father.

"I love you dad!"

Shinjuro laughs and walks right past Kyojuro. Kyojuro sighs. Senjuro looks at him, pain in his eyes.

"I would love to meet Riri someday." Senjuro says.

Kyojuro smiles. "One day you will!"

Suddenly a Kasugai crow comes bursting through the door.

"You have been summoned to an emergency Hashira meeting!!"

Kyojuro gasps. "I have to go. I love you Senjuro!!"

Senjuro smiles. "I love you too."

Kyojuro leaves as soon as he can and runs as fast as possible. He's able to make it to the headquarters in a matter of minutes. He approaches the other Hashira. Ubuyashiki begins walking toward them, they all kneel down.

"Good evening. I'm sorry for this meeting being so sudden. I have some unfortunate news to share with all of you."  Ubuyashiki says.

Suddenly a few Kakushi come running up to the residence. Shinobu is being carried on one of their backs. The Hashira all look and gasp. The Kakushi run past everyone to take her to the Butterfly Mansion. The Hashira all get a good look at her as she's taken past them. She's dirty and wounded. She looks like she's holding back tears. She's awake and alive, but she looks out of it.

Ubuyashiki continues. "In Shinobu and Kanae's recent efforts to take down Douma, Kanae unfortunately passed away."

The Hashira all gasp.

"Nama Amida Butsu." Gyomei says as he puts his hands together to pray.

"The funeral will be held tomorrow evening." Ubuyashiki says.

Kyojuro buries his face in his hands.

"I'll take down Douma if it's the last thing I do!" Sanemi yells.

"How do we go about this?" Tengen asks.

"We keep fighting. There's a reason why we're all here. There will be a day when this all ends. Even if we don't live to see it, we can find comfort in knowing that we were a part of the process." Ubuyashiki explains.

"Right!" Kyojuro exclaims.

"I want you all to offer your condolences to Kocho when you see her." Ubuyashiki orders.

All of the Hashira nod their heads.

"This meeting is dismissed."

The Hashira all look at each other in disbelief.

"Kanae deserved better than that." Mitsuri says crying.

"We all deserve better than that! But this is the reality of being in our position! We would be stupid to expect to make it through every assignment we're given!" Giyu yells.

"Have a little more faith, Tomioka." Obanai replies.

"Tomioka's right! Our job is difficult, and we never know how much time we have left!" Kyojuro chimes.

Obanai rolls his eyes. Suddenly Riri, Kanao, and Aoi come running towards everyone. Riri runs right into Kyojuro's arms. Sanemi hugs Kanao, and Mitsuri embraces Aoi. Riri cries out. Kyojuro holds her as tight as he can. Riri lets go and tries to force a smile as she looks at Kyojuro. Giyu approaches the two of them and Riri immediately runs to him. She hugs him tight and he rubs her head while looking at her.

"I don't even believe this news." Aoi says while trying to hold back tears.

Kanao silently cries. She has no words to describe how she's feeling. Riri lets go of Giyu and runs to go hug Aoi and Kanao. Everyone allows themselves to grieve.

After everyone left the residence, Kyojuro takes Riri's hand and smiles at her.

"Would you like to stay the night with me?" He asks.

Riri smiles. She nods her head. The two of them run to Kyojuro's room, hand in hand. Kyojuro closes the door. Riri runs into his arms and begins to cry.

"I can't believe she's gone."

Kyojuro holds her tight. "It was Kanae's time to go. As sad as it is, time won't wait for you to move on. You're allowed to grieve, but don't let it take over you. Kanae wouldn't want you to be consumed by her death."

"I will live out my best life for Kanae!" Riri cries.

Kyojuro smiles. "We all will."

The two of them lay next to each other in Kyojuro's bed. Riri can't seem to fall asleep. She begins thinking about her memories with Kanae. She thinks of Kanae's laugh. She can't fathom the fact that she'll never see her again, and she'll never get to see her get married. It hurts.

The next morning, Kyojuro and Riri head to the Butterfly Mansion to see Shinobu. The second Riri entered the infirmary, the two girls burst into tears. Riri ran to Shinobu and held her close.

"I love you so much." Riri says.

"I love you the most." Shinobu replies.

The two girls sob next to each other. They reminisce the old times and offer words of encouragement. Shinobu looks up at Riri.

"I couldn't even give her justice. Douma got away and I'll never forgive myself for being so helpless."

"There was nothing you could do. You and Kanae pushed yourselves past your limits. You should be proud of that. Kanae will receive justice. The Corps will make sure of it!" Riri says.