The Funeral

The next morning, a Hashira meeting was called. Riri attended as well. All the Hashira gathered outside the headquarters.

"I'm sure you've all been informed of the news. Kyojuro Rengoku passed away yesterday morning, fighting against Upper Rank Three, Akaza. It is our duty as Hashira to carry on his legacy. Rengoku was one of the most exceptional swordsmen the Corps had ever seen." Ubuyashiki starts.

"Akaza will pay. I can assure you that." Sanemi says.

"He was such a good teacher. I wouldn't have the skills I do now if it wasn't for him." Mitsuri cries.

"If Rengoku couldn't take down Akaza, how are any of the rest of us supposed to?" Gyomei says.

"None of us will ever be like him! Not even I am as flamboyant as he was!" Tengen yells.

"Rengoku impacted all of us in many ways. I want you all to use every battle as an opportunity to honor him and the dedication he had to the Corps." Ubuyashiki continues.

"I'm sure him and Kanae are pleased to meet again." Shinobu says, with tears filling her eyes.

Riri buries her face in her hands. The Hashira all turn to look at her.

Mitsuri kneels down next to her and holds her close. The two of them both cry.

A group of Kakushi run past all the Hashira. They're carrying Tanjiro, Zenitsu, Inosuke, and Nezuko. The boys are all sobbing uncontrollably.

"Those poor boys had to witness his death." Gyomei says.

"Oh how brave they are!" Mitsuri replies.

"Rengoku's funeral will be held here, tomorrow. Please be there." Ubuyashiki says as he walks off.

Tengen turns to Riri.

"I'm sorry for your loss."

Riri smiles at him.

"I know that you and Kyojuro were very close, so I'm sorry too."

"Don't make this about me! You have much more to grieve. I can't imagine the pain." Tengen says.

"Please take care of your wives whenever you can. Cherish every moment you have with them. You never know when one of them will go." Riri explains.

"I will continue to care for them like Rengoku cared for you."

The next morning, Rengoku's funeral service was held. While the casket was open for viewing, everyone gathered together, eating Rengoku's favorite foods and reminiscing on old times. Tanjiro approaches Riri. He bows.

"Hello."

Riri bows.

"Hello, Tanjiro."

Tears fill his eyes immediately.

"I'm so sorry I couldn't save him!"

Tears fill Riri's eyes too. She pulls Tanjiro in for a hug.

"You do not have to apologize. There's nothing you could've done." She whispers.

Tanjiro sobs.

"I miss him so much, and I barely knew him. The pain you're feeling is probably unbearable."

"Please do not worry about my own grieving. Focus on healing yourself! You should be proud of everything you accomplished on that mission." Riri reassures.

"Why would I focus on my own healing? I'm part of the reason Rengoku is no longer here." Tanjiro thinks to himself.

Zenitsu and Inosuke walk up to them.