close to you - Lando Norris

a/n: more Lando as he seems to be your favourite. Can't blame you for that one. A sad happy one !

Word Count: 767

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You missed Lando. He was gone for so much of the time and when he was home you couldn't promise that you wouldn't have work or university. He had offered to help pay for rent and your fees so that you could leave your job and spend more time with him but you didn't want to have to owe him, regardless of whether he said you would never have to pay it back or not.

It was coming up to the end of the season and it had been a hectic few weeks. You hadn't spoken to Lando properly for at least two weeks. Between his training and media days let alone actual qualifying and races and your end of term exams plus coursework you had there hadn't been much more than an odd text here and there.

You collapsed onto your bed, your bottom lip pulled in tightly by your teeth. You exhaled, you were beyond exhausted but you still had qualifying you needed to watch. You always tried to keep up to date on how things were going. You didn't want your other commitments to get in the way of your main one. You hoped Lando knew how important he was to you.

You watched Lando comfortably come 4th, a good starting position for the race on Sunday. You already knew his Mclaren was podium worthy, you just hoped that he would be able to get it there. Your phone buzzed gently next to you:

from baby: hi sweet one, how was your day?

Your face lit up, Lando always knew to text you after he had finished qualifying but you chuckled lightly when you could see him in the background of Seb's interview with Sky texting away on your phone and your cheeks flushed when you knew it was the text you just received.

to L: not bad thanks, 4th baby that's amazing! x

You fired back at him and you watched patiently until you saw him smile on your screen, barely taking in what Seb was saying too interested in his reactions to your texts.

from baby: couldn't have done it without your support x

You raised your eyebrows at your phone. Lando was usually borderline cringey at the best of times but this made you let out an amused sigh. You both knew perfectly well it was he who had made the Mclaren 4th and no one else.

to L: ok wise guy, you look handsome btw x

You watched attentively to see him recieve your text and look up quickly and realise that he was in the background of the Sky interview while he waited his turn. He winked into the camera which made you grin and at the same time your phone buzzed again.

from baby: i wish that you were here with me tonight x

You frowned. You had missed him so much and you couldn't believe you'd actually managed to catch him at a time when he was responding straight away.

to L: not long, i miss you x

Lando pulled the same sad smile you had just done when you received his text and watching him, so far away, only available through screens and bad connections made your heart ache.

from baby: a thousand miles can't keep up apart x

You laughed quietly, but you knew under the joke, he meant it.

to L: i'm sure you could find a nice girl for company if you wanted x

You sent back, hoping he'd reassure you and if he didn't then you'd play it off as a joke. You knew he wanted to be with you but deep down you understood that he could be with whoever he wanted to and why on earth would he wait around for a university student who would never be able to drop everything just to travel with him. You had been to a few races, both of you wanting to keep your 2 year relationship as much on the downlow as possible. But it was also because you could just never find the time or justify missing so much university for race weekends. You knew Lando understood but you also saw how much it hurt him when you couldn't be there and other drivers could have their girlfriends be there to support them every weekend.

Lando's turn for an interview with sky came up and as you watched him answer all the questions with a slight sad look in his eyes, your phone lit up quietly causing your heart to swell.

from baby: baby no one ever comes close to you