Chapter 5

Hecate's eyes slowly opened, welcoming the morning light that crept through the window.

Her eyes shot opened.

Window? Her bedroom didn't have a window.

She sat up, finding herself in an unfamiliar, living space. It mirrored her own dorm room, but the décor was completely different, as was the smell. It didn't smell like Reza, but rather it smelled like sea salt and sulfur. The chairs and shelves were all blues and greens, and there were actual barnacles growing out of the walls on the right side of the living room, seeming to spread out from the stone door where a bedroom would normally be. She stood up to examine the couch, finding it a normal cushion, but the underside looked more like coral legs supporting part of an actual sofa. The TV was set up on a similar stand with pieces of coral holding up the television rather than an actual TV stand.

"What the..."

"Oh good, you're awake." Came Calypso's voice as she stepped out of the stone door. As it opened, Hecate could hear the sound of what sounded like running water before that sound disappeared behind the stone door. "Did you sleep well?"

Hecate lifted the red blanket she had been given before folding it as she answered. "I did. Thank you."

"No problem. You looked tired, and I didn't want you going home so late." Calypso shrugged.

Hecate noticed her hair was wet and her skin glistened as if she just got out of the shower. Though she imagined if she grew scales when she was asleep that she would probably sleep underwater.

"Uh..." Hecate went to ask the question before pausing, grateful that her words didn't spill out like she expected them to.

"Do you want to see my room?" Calypso asked, putting her hand back on her door with a smile.

"I'm curious is all. I heard running water."

Calypso chuckled. "Of course you did, I have to leave the filter running."

"Filter? Do you live in a fish tank?" Hecate chuckled as she made her way over.

"Sort of." Calypso chuckled, pushing the door opened. Hecate walked past her, before her eyes widened at the realization of what was before her.

Calypso had a normal looking bedroom, with a bed, dressers, a desk in the corner and large fish tank on one side with a whole bunch of oceanic fish swimming around happily. All the décor was the same blue and greens as the rest of the living area but the oceanic smell was much stronger.

For obvious reasons, as the entire floor was thick glass so you could see into what was basically a massive salt water tank complete with sand, rocks, and coral growing in the corners and seaweed. There was a small hatch with a ladder in one of the corners so one could actually get into the water below, but Hecate's eyes were locked on the beauty of the underwater landscape before her. It looked as though someone had just given her a beautiful visual of what the bottom of the ocean looked like.

Some of the coral had large bulbs of blue light growing out of them, and Hecate couldn't tell if it was a bioluminenance or if they were actual lightbulbs designed to look that way.

"This is insane." Hecate muttered. "I know you need to be in in the water pretty often, but they put a fish tank in a pocket dimension. That's nuts."

"I can't imagine the work and effort necessary to make it happen." Calypso smiled. "They try very hard to make sure that I feel safe and content."

"I noticed the rooms had magical locks." Hecate nodded. "When you lock the door a certain way, they won't open for anyone at all."

"I noticed that too. Probably to make people feel safer if they got a vampire roommate or something." She shrugged.