Chapter 31

Calypso winced in pain as she sat down on her couch. Just the motion of her back hitting the couch caused pain to fire through her entire shoulder.

Hecate sat next to her with a soft smile, her wings now gone. "The pain meds haven't kicked in yet?"

"Oh they have." Calypso answered. "But they're not perfect. I'm still really sore."

"I mean, you've been shot... so, I'm not surprised." Hecate shrugged.

"Thank you for keeping everyone away from me, and for getting me back here quickly." Calypso continued. "I didn't think news of it would spread so quickly, but here we are."

"Yeah, as soon as we left the infirmary there was a bunch of people outside waiting to play twenty questions." Hecate chuckled. "I'm sure they'll still be waiting tomorrow though."

"I know... I just didn't want to talk to them today."

Before Hecate could respond Calypso's phone vibrated from the coffee table in front of them. The mermaid went to lean forward to grab it but winced, and Hecate found herself grabbing it in the next second. She answered it with a soft smile.

"Good afternoon Amara. How can I-"

"WHERE IS SHE!?" Shouted the voice from the other side of the phone. So loud that Hecate had to pull it away from her ear.

"She's right next to me and f- stable."

"You couldn't say fine?" Calypso whispered, raising an eyebrow.

"You did get shot." Hecate whispered back. "Still healing."

"SHE WAS SHOT!? Oh my god! You're supposed to be her big strong vampire girlfriend and you let her get shot!? What the fuck!?"

"Oh for fuck sake." Calypso growled, reaching over and snatching the phone from Hecate's hand and holding it between the two of them where she put it on speaker. "Amara, I'm completely fine. I won't be swimming for a few weeks because my shoulder was shattered by the bullet, but I'm alive, and I'll heal."

"Your shoulder! Holy fuck! I'm just so happy you're okay! We all heard the news and were so worried about you!"

"Yeah I got the impression the whole school heard the news." Calypso rolled her eyes. "I just want to rest right now okay?"

"Hecate is still there right?"

"That's my name."

"Did you get shot too?"

"Four times I think, but I heal so I'm totally fine. I'm going to be taking care of her and making sure she doesn't strain herself."

"Good, because if anything else ever happens to her again I swear to God, I'll rip your fangs out and make earrings out of them."

"Vampire fang earrings actually sounds like it would be pretty cool though." Hecate muttered.

"You're a child." Calypso rolled her eyes. "Amara, I'm going to take it easy until my shoulder is completely healed. They used a bunch of magic to make sure that everything should set the way it's supposed to and I'll make a full recovery so long as I don't push myself. Which means I'm going to go to class, then go home. No sports or anything taxing, and no lifting either."

"Good, because if anything else happens to you I'll kill you and your girlfriend."

"Fair." Hecate agreed, getting Calypso to roll her eyes.

"Goodnight Amara."

"I'm glad you guys are safe."

"Love you too."