Chapter 9

"Are you sure you're okay?" Reza questioned, as her sister yawned from the couch. When Hecate came home that day she seemed much more relaxed than she should have been, having just discovered her parentage. Yet, there she was, seeming pretty relaxed considering everything that transpired.

"I'm okay." Hecate answered.

"You're still way more calm about this than you were yesterday."

The devil-angel-now-turned-vampire took a deep breath. "I just... I don't know. I was really stressed about it and I cried and had my long mental breakdown. But the more I thought about it the more I realized it really doesn't matter."

"Calypso made you feel all fluffy inside?"

"Mermaids have mates." Hecate retorted, getting Reza to nearly choke on the drink she had pulled to her lips. "They see a soul mark around a person's neck, and if theirs matches that persons they know."

"You have a mate?"

"I guess." Hecate shrugged. "I just... I don't know. I don't feel any different with her than say, you for example. A bit more calm and trusting than I should, but I don't feel compelled to spend my whole day with her or anything. I want to see her, but like... it's not this overpowering need like you would expect a mate's bond to be. And she even said the same thing. I guess Vampires, Werewolves and Succubi feel the bond, but Mermaids don't. She knows I'm her person, but she doesn't throw herself at me. Or at least she hides her need to really well."

"She could be freaking out internally." Reza shrugged. "But I'm impressed. You found your person."

"Is... Is Mel your person?"

Reza turned her gaze away from her sister, moving her cup between both her hands with a thoughtful gaze. "I'm not... entirely sure." She confessed. "I don't feel this overwhelming need to be at her side all the time but we are really close. I like her, but she annoys me just as much. She might be nicer to me than other people but she can still be a huge bitch. I just see those broken pieces where her real face pokes out more than other's. I don't think we're mates, and I know people are finding their mates a lot more often than they used to now a days, but..." She shrugged. "I don't think Mel and I are mates. I don't even really think we're dating. Sure, we've fooled around but I don't think either of us ever thought it meant anything. We were stuck together, and it wasn't like we could be with anyone else while we were."

"Must have been weird, sharing a body with someone else."

"It was weird at first. But after about a week I got the hang of it. She was basically just a voice in my head and didn't really control me except when she had her meetings to go to."

"Did she take back her circle once you guys separated?"

"I don't think so. Once we separated I didn't go back to hell. Our contract had been broken so I wasn't supposed to be down there anymore." She shrugged. "But I know from conversations I had with them that it's more honorable to become an advisor, rather than to hold the position. You have all the perks of holding it, but none of the responsibilities unless something happens. So her being the Former Head of Wrath, is more important than The Circle of Wrath."

"What about Desdemona? Isn't she still The Circle of Lust?"

"From my understanding she's trying to find a successor. She feels she's not giving the position enough of her time anymore since she's always at the school. At the same time she has to find someone who will still honor her agreement with the Angels like she does."

"She doesn't think anyone will?"

"Well, it's a matter of principle. Devils are far more honorable than people give them credit for. They don't slaughter their predecessors to steal their ranks, they defeat them in battle, then welcome them as advisors. To be bested isn't to be defeated, it's basically you trained someone to be even more powerful than you and you should be proud of that."