Chapter 15

Hecate could only smile as she watched Calypso practically inhale her pizza. It was clear that the mermaid was trying to be polite, but she could certainly see that her jaw could move unnaturally, though she was clearly taking great care to avoid it.

"So, you can full on open your mouth like an angler fish?" Hecate asked, leaning onto her arm as she watched the mermaid.

Calypso paused, lowering a slice of pizza away from her face and setting it back in the box in front of her. "Why do you ask?"

"Cuz you're face looks pretty normal to me. You also don't seem that shy anymore."

"Every time I look at you, you're looking at my face and nothing else." Calypso confessed. "I don't feel like you're looking at me at all."

"Cuz I'm worried you'll get nervous." Hecate shrugged. "About the angler fish jaw?"

"Mermaids have different types." Hecate explained. "I guess, the easiest way to explain it is that some mermaids have the traits of certain fish. My family has always appeared more like angler fish and such, but some mermaids can appear like sharks, whales, orca's or other types of fish."

"Do you have crab mermaids?"

Calypso chuckled. "No. Well, yes, but I don't think they're mermaids. Descendants of Karkinos, the Greek Giant Crab monster or something, they're like... mer-crabs. Like half human half crab-like. I'm not sure if they fall under the same category as mermaid."

"So you have angler fish traits because you're what? More used to deep sea?"

"Exactly." Calypso smiled. "My people lived in the Mariana Trench and other deep sea locations where light was barely existent. We had to learn to hunt in absolute darkness. I guess we evolved the same traits as an angler fish to do so."

"So shallow water hunters might appear more shark like? And what, vegan mermaids look like whales?"

"In some cases yes. The whale-like ones are usually bigger. What you would consider a giant. Humans often mistook some of them for sea gods." Calypso shrugged.

"I can see the glowy bits being angler fish related, but I've yet to see this magic jaw of yours. I'm trying to imagine where it's supposed to come from and all I can picture is like, your jaw unhinging and just rows of teeth."

Calypso shrugged. "Sort of. Those teeth fold inwards, and actually my jaw is part of the rest of my cheek. The glowing lines on my cheeks are actually where it opens."

"Wait, what? You have to show me, you can't just tell me."

Calypso rolled her eyes before lifting the pizza back towards her mouth. Hecate watched in awe as Calypso's jaw split down the middle at the same time as her cheeks peeled opened, while her jaw dislocated like a snake. Large teeth, almost the size of fingers folded outward before she swallowed the pizza whole. The teeth then folded back inwards as her jaw and cheeks came back together revealing a perfectly human face, though her normal, much smaller, already sharp teeth still remained. Hecate could tell that several additional bones were usually folded inward along with the bones to give it a very solid form, and as her mouth closed, the vampire realized that it did look like an angler fish with smaller but denser teeth, almost like a shark's.

Hecate blinked. "So do the teeth folding backwards prevent fish from swimming out of your mouth after you eat them?"

"Exactly! Thank you. Usually the first question is-"

"Also how the fuck did it just shrink down like that?"

"There we go..."

"I mean, it wasn't as big as I was expecting. You ever see Ben 10? I was thinking straight up Ripjaws or something but it wasn't like that at all. It was more Predator mixed with an angler fish if that makes sense. But like, looking at you right now, even when you talk your mouth looks completely normal. Like, I can see your tongue and teeth so where are the other teeth?"