Chapter 16

Hecate thought the sheer panic would set in the moment she was completely submerged. Instead, it set in when she opened her eyes. Even though she didn't breathe, the air bubbles escaping her mouth as she cried out instinctively made her panic even more.

Calypso was in front of her in a moment, placing her hands on either side of Hecate's face with a gentle smile as they slowly sunk the ten or so feet to the bottom of the tank. Hecate flinched when her feet sunk into the sand at the bottom before she finally glanced around.

"Can you hear me okay?" Calypso's voice echoed from the water. Hecate's head snapped back up at her realizing she could hear her almost clear as day, simply echoed like she was speaking directly into her head. She herself went to speak, but the salt water entered her mouth reminding her that she couldn't. Instead she focused her thoughts on Calypso's mind.

How are you able to speak normal?

"I'm a mermaid. The water carries my voice for me." Calypso answered with a smile.

That's weird.

"It's natural. How are you feeling?" She asked, holding Hecate's face so they were looking directly at each other.

Scared. The vampire confessed.

"Understandable. Do you want to look around or will it freak you out?" Calypso asked.

Hecate nodded a bit and Calypso slowly released her head allowing the vampire to glance around the underwater area. It genuinely appeared as though it was a pocket of ocean. The walls weren't walls as much as they were carved stone with rocks and spires scattered about the room covered in coral and sea vegetation. On the wall opposite where the bed was there was a large circular, metal door placed into the wall with blue sigils on it.

Hecate found herself looking at the room in awe, even as the distorted sound reminded her she was underwater. Calypso slowly swam around her with a smile before her tail unwrapped from her legs allowing her to also stand on the bottom with her as well.

"You doing okay?" Calypso called, placing a hand on her shoulder.

Why did we sink to the bottom?

"We talked about this. You let all the air out of your lungs so there's nothing keeping you buoyant. Thankfully there's a ladder on the trap door for safety, so you should be able to get back up easy enough." Calypso smiled.

What did you want to show me?

"It's a little intense, so just get your baring's first."

What do you mean intense?

"That door leads to a large open ocean pocket dimension for the underwater students. Since there aren't a ton of us, for the most part it's almost always empty. But I enjoy it because it feels like it changes over time."

You want to take me to open ocean? If you had this why swim in the river?

"Sometimes you just wanna swim in a river."

I dunno if I'm ready for that.

"What if I don't let go of you?" Calypso asked, gently taking Hecate's arm the way the vampire had taken her's when they went to visit the Goddesses.

Promise?

"I promise." Calypso smiled, gently touching her cheek to Hecate's before she pushed off the ground, lifting Hecate with her. The vampire panicked a moment as Calypso's tail folded around her legs and once again gave her the appearance of a mermaid tail from myth before she swam towards the door. Hecate was impressed that her tail was powerful enough to move them both through the water at a pretty decent speed.