1. Taehyung

1st March

A hundred cars line up the parking lot behind closed for good warehouses, and I'm pacing like an idiot in front of the chain link fence. I've seen more cars than this in the past three months, and even those against which I lost races made me feel calmer than the panic driving my steps now.

I flicker the lighter in front of a third cigarette and draw the smoke, the first sting indistinguishable on my tongue after having three of those in a row.

This place, tonight's race, is where I will find everyone. Not every-everyone. Two people in particular that I've been thinking about for... unnecessarily long. Honestly, it started driving me insane. That's why tonight I might not quit smoking, but I'll quit ignoring them. That's why I'm here. To see Jungkook and Yeeun.

I wasn't going to come here. I wasn't going to race at all. I'm still not, I didn't bring my car (that makes me even less confident). But I know for sure that's where I will find them. So. I'm here.

The cars, all washed and polished, glimmer under the lamps around. The first race of the spring season. It looks and feels livelier than the last one. But maybe it's my perception, and the fact that I'm not at anyone's throat, not thinking of who I have to beat to be the best.

I don't have to see them, but at the same time, I don't think I can go any longer without seeing them. I just had this stupid feeling, three weeks ago in Busan. Instead of driving across the country to Daegu again, I came back to Seoul.

When I was leaving, three months ago, I wasn't sure if I would ever be back here. The last time I saw Jungkook, outside of a police station, was the last day I spent in Seoul. Without any new clients, I put a sign up at the door of my car repair shop – closed until further notice – and left. I fucking bolted. I couldn't stand this city. I couldn't stand being anywhere near the constant reminders of the past. I drove. From city to city. I slept in motels, sometimes in my car, and raced. I changed cars four times, after racing for pink slips. Besides that, I got a bunch of money. Did I get any clarity of mind I was hoping for? I guess so. That's why I was able to come here tonight. And why I'm not going to go back without anything.

I finish the cigarette, stomp on the butt and walk.

People are more excited than I remember them to be. They're all hanging over the hoods of their possibly new sports cars, chatting, dancing. Maybe it's always been like that and I've actually never paid attention. All I cared about was... well, Jungkook, to be honest, and being better than him. I knew people were around, but now I'm more aware of them. Of how they behave. Of the passion and pure joy they bring here.

Some people whisper when they notice me, but I scan the crowd for only two of them. My body grows heavy. After everything that's happened between us, even thinking about them unsettles me.

There they are. I stop walking. Jungkook's leaning against the hood of his car, arms wrapped around Yeeun. He looks so... happy. I don't think I've ever seen him this happy.

We've left off in a weird place. Not enemies, but not really on good terms, either. I apologized in a broad understanding of the word. I didn't really specify what I was sorry for. What I am sorry for. God knows it will take time to get over it.

I take a deep breath and quickly let it out. Jungkook is the first one to spot me when I walk their way. Pulling Yeeun to his side, he waves at me. Taken aback by the sudden attention, I do something close to a smile. And it's the most awkward interaction the world has ever seen.

I don't think we've ever had a peaceful interaction before. A normal one – definitely not.

I decide to let my body take over and speak for me, and when I'm close enough to say something fairly normal, like 'hi', a wheeze of wheels makes the crowd quiet. It's intuitive when, instead of words, we exchange questioning glances. I take a step closer, almost closing the remaining gap between us; the crowd parts, revealing a brand new, silver Mercedes ESQ. A model-looking guy steps out of it. When I look at Jungkook again, against my rational mind not to do it, he looks at me too, and I know we both want that car. I'm not the biggest fan of the cars you have to charge, but some of them almost beg to be indulged.