35. Yeeun

D-1 to the Operation

🏁

"You should persevere," I say, because I can't stand him anymore. I can't stand Jungkook pretending he's unaffected.

We were about to sleep, but I won't sleep until we clear that. We lay on his bed, face to face, and he's been brooding like that for hours now. Nothing could lift his mood, not a single thing. Which means things are bad.

He adjusts the hand under his head. "No."

"You don't care?"

"It doesn't matter," Jungkook says. "He doesn't. He cares about himself and about becoming whatever his family would approve of. And he still hates me for... well, existing, it seems like."

"He doesn't. You know how Taehyung has always been. He always acted angry when he was hurt."

"But I haven't done anything against him. At least not since things changed. I tried my goddamn best to be supportive. If that's not what he wants, then what's the point? I'm not gonna push it. It's... pointless." He moves a bit closer. "Let's not talk about it. Not in the mood."

I thread my fingers through his hair.

"Are you worried? About tomorrow?" he asks.

"No. We're gonna succeed," I say, and I genuinely believe that. We've worked out a perfect plan, Yoongi and I. Because I decided we're too far in to quit believing Yoongi.

I'm wary, highly, and Yoongi openly hates me for it.

"Is Taehyung going to help us?" Jungkook asks.

"I hope so. The plan is for all of us. If he bails out, we'll have to change the plan."

Jungkook sighs, twisting to the side to grab his phone from the nightstand. "I'll text him."

I put my head on his shoulder and read as he types.

Do whatever the fuck you want, go to fucking Oxford if that's your wish and become a doctor, but after you help us. You're a part of the plan and no one feels like changing it now.

I smack his arm. "Be kinder."

"I want him to know I'm pissed off."

I slide my arm around him.

His phone buzzes. I'll fucking be there, calm down.

It's painful. Jungkook doesn't know what happened before he met Taehyung, before their argument, but we both know none of it is actually about him. If Taehyung admitted it never was about Jungkook, I don't believe it suddenly is.

But if that's what Taehyung wants him to believe, it will be difficult for Jungkook to break through the wall.

"Come here," he mutters, dropping the phone and wrapping his arms around me.

"Are you scared?"

"A bit. I don't want anything to happen to you."

"Nothing will. Remember. I'm so great that the most wanted criminal wants me to work for him."

"Wow. I'm feeling so much better now."

My lips curve. I shuffle to be able to look at him without being too far away. "I'm gonna be fine. I promise. You're not getting rid of me so easily."

I don't really have that much guarantee, but I'm going to rely on lies tonight. It'll be better if he at least believes it will be alright.

Maybe he knows I'm lying, because he doesn't let go of me for the rest of the night, and doesn't quit kissing me until neither of us can stay awake.