39. Taehyung

Even after waking up, I lie in bed for almost an hour. Going onto two. It's so peaceful. I haven't felt so peaceful in a long time. I might be a bit hungover, too, but even that feels nice. Normal. There is nothing wrong. I mean, technically, there are still things that need work. But it all doesn't matter now. I really don't care. I feel so calm.

Then there's a knock on the door. Whoever it is, I'm fine with it. I'm so stupidly fine with everything today.

I swing the door open, barely, and someone barrels into me. "Woah." I tumble back, wrapping my arms around... Wooshik. Oh my God, Wooshik.

I've been kind of, lowkey, avoiding him until last night. When I still thought I'd quit it all and leave, I didn't have the guts to answer him. Last night only, I texted: I'm sorry, a lot has happened in the past few days, but everything is alright.

He holds me tight, and I hold just as tight. Now everything can be well. Everything will be well.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"What's wrong?" He pulls back, wide eyes on me. "First you nearly stop talking to me and now I might have never seen you again."

"How... do you know?"

"Jungkook and Yeeun told me."

I let out a sigh. "Jungkook wasn't supposed to tell you."

"Why not?"

"I didn't want you to worry when everything was already alright."

His gaze softens, and honestly, I've never felt as good as I do when he hugs me again.

"I'm not worried. I'm just... happy to see you. So happy."

"I'm happy you're here," I say.

"Why'd you disappear before?" he asks.

"I had a quick identity crisis after Hyun showed up again."

"Again? Oh, he better not cross paths with me."

I huff a laugh, snuggling more.

Wooshik leans back and puts his hands on my cheeks. We cool down, and I just enjoy the moment of looking at him. I can have this. I can. It's alright for me to like men, and like him, and for him to like me, because I'm definitely not as bad as I made myself seem to be.

And never have I been that happy just because of someone's presence. Or existence. Thinking about him when he's not around makes me smile to myself like an idiot.

And he just... where the hell did he come from? One day he wasn't here, the other he was, and it's like the days without him don't matter anymore. The idea of liking someone beyond platonic feelings was so far away in my head. Even if I wanted it, one day, there were only obstacles – be it being gay, closeted, or hating myself.

But he's here. And he's clearly not going anywhere. And I don't want him to.

"Taehyung?"

"Yeah?"

"Will you go out with me? Like... officially? On a date?"

I can't help but laugh. I'm so relieved. "I will. Of course I will."

I break free to close the door.

"But I don't have to wait for the date to get a kiss, right?"

"You don't have to wait more than one second for it." He pulls me in with his hands on my waist and kisses me. He kisses me. I fucking love kissing. Kissing him.

The whole Jimin-fiasco, the last moments of it especially, cleared my mind in a new way. I have a much better judgment now of what really matters to me. What is worth putting effort into.

I swing my arms around his neck and deepen the kiss. Sweet. Really sweet. I stumble back, pulling him further in. I feel my bed at the back of my legs. Something carefree possesses me when I grasp his shirt and push him onto the bed. And then when I sit on him. Yes, Kim Taehyung, you're a new person.

He holds my shirt in the same way, pulling me into another breathless long kiss.

Sparkles. Fizzing. Electricity. That's what's inside me now, when he moves his hands along my thighs, underneath my shirt to my waist. And then he kisses me in a way that turns sparkles into warmth, like fire, spreading and melting. Wooshik flips us around, breaking the kiss when he hovers above me.

I breathe heavier, resting my hands on his shoulders.

"I want to tell you something," he says.

"Yeah?"

"Next month..." He gulps, as if nervous. He's rarely nervous. "Next month, I'm moving to Seoul."

I can feel my heartbeat in every part of my body.

"Moving for good?"

Wooshik nods, gaze shifting between my eyes. "I'm tired of Daegu. There is no one left to race that would be at least somewhat exciting. And... you know, in Seoul... I met this cute guy one day. I really hope he takes this whole thing seriously, because... I wouldn't know how to go on if he didn't."

Takes seriously. Of course I do. He does. This is... new. And nice. I never thought I'd have anything serious, and I've always wanted serious.

"He does," I say. "He's never taken anything that seriously."

"Neither have I." He brushes my hair back. "I've never wanted anything that much."

"I'm scared."

"I am, too."

"But I'm also excited. Kiss me. If you are, too."

He kisses me immediately, for not less than ten minutes. Kisses and kisses, and I melt and melt. Not an ounce of pain or fatigue left. Everything is alright.