4. Jungkook

The next day, I leave the store with my coworker and drive straight to Yeeun's apartment. We haven't seen each other since last night and if I don't spill everything on my mind, I'll go crazy.

That was the worst thing I could have possibly done. Okay, one of the worst things. The worst of it is how well last night was going. We were being friendly and then I was a dick.

Whenever the Japan Race is in question, I'm worried it will fuck everything up between us all over again. Because I'm fucking competitive, and because he's the only competition I have. (Not counting Yeeun – I can tell she's not trying to win the spot). Trying to minimize the damage before it happens, I went about it in the most selfish and shitty way I could last night.

With my head on Yeeun's lap, I tell her all of that.

And she asks, "What if you don't get the spot?"

I don't even want to think about it. It's been a while since I've been number one, and it seems like every time I wasn't, my life was a mess. I need to be number one for the peace of mind and everything around me.

"I wish this whole Japan Race wasn't a thing." I sigh.

Yeeun threads her fingers through my hair. "Don't think about the Japan Race now. Or even racing. Hang out with him. Like friends."

I open my eyes. "What?"

"I don't believe driving is the only thing you two have in common." Yeeun shakes her head.

All in all... she might be right.

🏁

Around the time Taehyung should be done with work, I park in front of the garage. Just like I thought, he's locking the door. I step out of the car, and he's looking at me with his eyes widened.

"Follow me," I say.

I expect a remark, maybe a fairly mean one, but he says, "Okay," and heads for his car.

There is something we've always done together, never really mentioning it. Never acknowledging it. It's been a while. Years, actually. The last time might have been in middle school. Perhaps sporadically in high school.

I wasn't sure of his reaction when I thought about it last night. I wasn't sure if he'd even want to spend time with me anymore. But... I'm persevering. And trying.

I park first, he parks next to me. All my doubts dissipate when he gets out of the car and laughs.

"What are we doing here?" he asks.

I dive into the back of the car and get a football out. "Playing."

"Soccer?" He looks at me, eyebrows raised. In an excited way. "I haven't played in years."

"Neither have I." I chuckle, throw the ball over the fence and climb it. "It was fun, though."

Taehyung follows me in, as we technically break onto the soccer field of our old high school. It was our thing in middle school. I do remember everyone wanting me to be in their team, and Taehyung usually being chosen at the end, but I only really liked to play against him. Or in the same team as him. Both were equally fun, even if I'd never admit it out loud.

The truth is... I was never as much against Taehyung as I made it out to be. I always thought he was pretty cool. He often got the villain roles in school plays, which obviously were cooler than heroes. He was insane at soccer, making it all much more exciting than soccer in school should have been. He got his ears pierced at the end of middle school. He could solve a Rubik's cube in ten seconds.