Chapter 19: Break

Monday morning trainings are tough, but having Levi running the drills makes it all the more exhausting. The sun barely shines through the thick overcast making for poor visibility in the dense forest. Somehow you manage to speed through the pathway he's designated in record time, beaten only by mikasa by an impressive 3 seconds. By the end of your exercises, your clothes are drenched and everyone is dismissed to put their horses away, everyone but you..

"(L/N), a word please." The captain requested of you.

Begrudgingly, you remain at the entrance of the training woods and share an irritated glance with Mara who is staying dry under post where the horses are tied up. Ideally, she'd be back in her stall munching on some hay, but is instead glaring in your direction as the other horses are heading home.

"Yes sir."

"Do you know why I had you all practice your 3d maneuvering out here today?"

You take a look around at the dark forest and waterlogged trees surrounding you.

"Because the visibility is awful?"

"That, and the fact that wet trees retain your anchors differently."
They taught you this back in the academy. Back before you ever even used the 3d gear, you knew this information. What is Levi supposed to get at?

"Yes, I noticed that when retracting my hooks."

"So then why do you rely on them to change your direction?"

"What do you mean?"

"You deploy your hooks before you adjust your body, relying on their sudden motion to jerk you where you'd like to go."

"When a Titan is reaching for me I don't always have the time to-"

"But there's no Titan today. You're going to destroy your hooks by relying on them to turn you and they're not going to hold when you actually need them to."

"So how am I supposed to turn my body if I'm not connected to anything?"

"Tch." He rolled his eyes "keep your eyes on where you're going. Focus on one spot, pivot your body then deploy your anchors."
He turned around to ready his horse. "I don't know how you're here right now. You're dismissed."

Alright then, so Levi's criticism is pretty harsh but you're convinced that it's coming from a good place. Both don't know how you're still here, but instead of taking it personal, you are convinced that somehow he's glad that you are. The wind picks up as the rain aggressively starts pouring down. Because of the weather, the horses need to slow their pace to not slip. Either way, their hooves will require special attention upon returning, it's imperative to pick out the wet mud and prevent rotting within their hooves.
Once back at the stables, you're able to give Mara some much needed TLC but your wet clothes begin to irritate you.
You let out a flustered groan and rip off your soaked jacket, hanging it on the nearest post. Your white button up clings to your body as you hook mara up to baths and begin hosing the mud off her of body. Muffled laughter is cut off by a loud thump and a scream follows

"Eren WHAT THE HELL?" Jean screams.
You turn your head to look directly across the hall at the boys washing their horses.

"Uhhh, (Y/N)." You hear a voice from besides you. "Your shirt is see through" Mikasa says from behind her horse.

Looking down, you see that the white top you've decided to wear has failed you, exposing the blue bra underneath. Oh well, it's bothering you anyway. You unbutton your top, hang it on top of your jacket and resume to clean Mara off.

Eren and Jean continue bickering in the background.

"Stop being a fucking perv, Jean. You wanna get your Dick wet so bad? Fine!"
Eren points the hose at Jeans pants and he lunges forward at eren, tackling him to the ground. The hose is now spraying everywhere and everyone, making the horses neigh and stomp, almost crushing Eren in the process. Levi shuts off the hose and grabs both Eren and Jean by the collars and lift them to their knees.