Chapter 27: At Least I Got This Cool Knife

Footsteps begin approaching and Gwen's mother peers through the small glass window eye level on the door. Noah and you pull back your hoods just enough so she can clearly see your faces and she meets both of your eyes before quickly unlocking and opening her door.

"Are you guys.. supposed to be here?" She whispers before nervously glancing around her street.

The two of you inconspicuously shake your heads and she motions you both to come into her home.

"Please, have a seat. It's wonderful to see the both of you. Is there anything I can get you? I have some lovely teas or water if you need."
Gwen's mother was a bit anxious with her words, but she's always been this way.

"It's truly my pleasure to see you again, Robin. Have you painted in here? I love what you've done with the place." Noah marvels at the small renovations done before heading over to the chair where all the fabrics and unfinished work collect.

Gwen's mom loves to be praised, Noah is right, he's now having conversations with her about her projects. It was better that he does the talking. Unfortunately, we can't stay here too long unnecessarily, so he politely cuts the conversation short.

"I'll be sure to stop by the next time I'm stationed in Trost, but you see, we can't stay for long. We came to check in on Gwen."

Robins eyes freeze at the mentioning of her daughter and she takes a second before responding.

"Yes, what's happened is a shame, but Gwen is sleeping right now, she needs her rest. I'll be sure to let her know the two of you stopped by."

"I understand that completely Ms. Meyer, however we traveled all this way, risking our positions because we care so much about her. Is there any way—"

She cuts Noah off, her tone shifting from friendly to firm.
"She was adamant about no visitors. I'm sorry I can't be of more help."

"I understand completely Robin, we just really care for Gwen, (Y/N) was with her just last weekend for her birthday. We're not here to convincer her or talk her into anything, we just need her to know we're here for her." Noah pleads

Robins eye's narrow as she begins to take Noah's words as offense. She's normally a kind and timid woman who always falls to Noah's charm but, given the stress she's been under mixed with the alcohol she uses to cope, she becomes defensive and hostile. 

"You both come to my home at this hour making demands that I cannot fulfill."
She gets up and heads towards the door.
"Now please, see your way out as I must prepare for bed."

You glance to Noah, who's face is in shock as his charm has finally failed him.

"I was there." You say as you stand up.
"I was there when it all happened. I saw him. There's an important message I have for Gwen, please, just let us see her. It won't be long, but there's something she needs to know."
You relentlessly plead.
Robins posture softens as she takes a moment to consider your words, looking from side to side before taking a big deep breathe and returning back to where you're sitting.

"Alright. Go head, just please don't upset her, I'm exhausted." She sighs and picks up her feet, swinging them onto the couch as she resumes drinking from her glass, forehead hanging in her hand.

You look at Noah and he nods, encouraging you to lead the way to Gwen's room. Once you approach the door, you knock gently.

"Gwen? It's me and Noah.."

There's no response, so you gently open the door, her room is pitch black. You hear the switch of Noah's lighter and he lights the candle on the table by her entrance, illuminating the room just enough to see her fast asleep on the bed.