20.A new sign

CHAPTER TWENTY

It's been a week since I decided to give another chance to our relationship and I haven't regretted it so far.It's Saturday and we decided to binge watch a new movie on Netflix.I was too tired after work to do anything else and the stress wasn't helping much either.

I leaned against the armset of his couch,laying my legs across his lap as he sat at the other end of the couch.His fingers were weaving magic on my toes as he gave me a foot massage.My foot seemed stiff with pain as all day I had to run errands from my office to the venue (where fashion week was supposed to be held) and then to the factory to oversee the production.

The film ended with the credit scene and I was surprised that I hadn't slept through it.Not that the film was bad,it was subjectively controversial to say the least.We had a ordered a take-out earlier as I was no good in cooking and I wasn't in the mood either even if I wanted to and Shivaay was feeling weary as well as he had an important meeting today considering he had to close the deal with one of his investors.

"We should have called it a night after dinner instead of watching this,"he said with disdain.He stretched his arms upwards,on either side and cracked his knuckles.I could only imagine how exhausting the day had been today for him.

"Why?Wasn't the plot good?"I asked though I personally didn't like it much either.

"There wasn't anything to like at all.The guy acted as if the female protagonist was his possession."

"Well,she was his wife."I said.

"That doesn't excuse his behaviour and neither does it make her an object of pocession.She is her own person."he said,leaning back against the couch.I tried pulling my feet away from his lap as he was tired but instead he gently pulled them back and started massaging my ankle.I didn't protest further as my ankle was in a dire need of pain relief.

"Isn't relationship about owning each other," I said.I completely disagreed with whatever I had said.I did it only to know his views regarding the said subject since we never had an opportunity to discuss about it.

"In my opinion,ownership and relationship are two ends of a spectrum.A relationship is about two people deciding to share their lives on basis of love,trust and mutual respect.They definitely don't own each other as they are still two individual with seperate lives and a part of their life is mutually inclusive.There is no space for exercising control or ownership."He said.

"Aren't you classified as controlling?"I asked.

He looked at me in disbelief,as if I had not just pointed a flaw of his but instead accused him of a crime he wasn't guilty of."Anika,I like control with respect to my life and I take no pleasure in controlling other's."

"But you did,the day you gifted me a vehicle.I hadn't asked for it and I certainly didn't want you to buy it for me.You denied taking it back and left me no choice.Isn't that controlling?"

He looked guilty as I made my point."To an extent,I agree.And I am extremely sorry for that.In the initial days,I was confused.I liked you from the very begining and I had denied myself from experiencing any sorts of that feeling for years.With you,I couldn't decipher my emotions.I certainly did few things that I may have never done,like offering a ride to a stranger who just moved in beside my flat or gifting them something which doesn't qualify much as a homecoming present.I still feel extremely guilty for being rude to you on the day you came to my office."

My intention wasn't to prove him guilty and looking at the sudden change in his demeanor,I lifted my legs away from his lap and moved close to him.Enclosing my arms around his waist,I placed my head against his shoulder,in an attempt to provide him comfort.