22.Retracing Past

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

When someone else's success and happiness matters to you just as much as yours,it's clear that the person is someone who's close to your heart.Anika was embraced by all of her colleagues who were showering her with complements.The fashion event was a success and her design's were remarkable.My girlfriend was like a sunflower and at the moment she was blooming under the warmth,shine of glory and success. I was beyond proud to witness her achievement.

Our eyes met and our smiles synchronized as if we were the mirror images of each other.She made her way towards me.We stood still,unable to express our thoughts through words.Right now, we seemed to understand every string of our feelings without conveying it through a series of sentences.

Finally I stepped forward,embracing her in my arms."That was amazing."

"Is that an unbiased opinion?"she asked with a glint of mischief.

"What do you think?"I retorted with a smirk,pulling her close by her waist.She looked absolutely breathtaking.Her outfit was authentic and a blend of contemporary aesthetic.It didn't leave much for my imagination as it outlined each of her curves.

"I don't know.To be honest it's more like a dream that will be no more once I wake up."She confessed holding my arms for support.

"Your designs were flawless.Believe me when I say that as this isn't my first time in these events.Look around if you don't believe me,these subtle and sophisticated people wouldn't complement anyone if there wasn't any talent."I said.

"If you say so,"she murmured,leaning her head against my chest.I wrapped my arms around her,inhaling her unique soothing smell.She is the light I have been craving for and I will put up a fight if needed,to be with her.She is the beauty to my beast and not realising that earlier was a deadly sin.My life has been a sad show,undoubtedly ugly,heavy and complex but her presence makes it simpler.

"Anika?"A man whom I merely recognised from the night when he dropped Anika,approached towards us.I had to let her out of my arms,reluctantly.

He looked a bit nervous and reserved in my presence and then I remembered the reason for his supposed reaction.I was a jerk to him for no reason on that night.Though I did nothing but stare at him in anger and probably a bit of momentary jealousy.To make things better,I offered him a smile as an apology.

"Shivaay,this is Rahul.He works in the same department as mine and a really good friend," Anika said.

I raised my arms for a handshake and he accepted it without any hostility."And Rahul this is Shivaay,my boyfriend."Her introduction of mine brought a huge grin on my face.He did seem surprised by the title I was given by Anika since for him I was an investor for the company he worked for and nothing more.

"You did a wonderful work on the outfits.I was genuinely impressed."I said to him.

"Thanks. It was a combined group effort."He said with a shy smile.Complements are a funny thing,some people have no idea on how to receive one.

Soon,the three of us were engaged in a light conversation.After sometime he received a call,he directed his attention towards Anika."We are needed in there.Shalini insists we be there in the inlet soon."He said with an acute smile.

"I will be there in a minute."She said.He left not before passing one his genuine smile as if to say he had accepted my apology.

"I will be back."She said,planting a quick kiss on my cheeks.How I wish I could taste those warm lips of hers.Everything about her drives me crazy.

"Hey,Shivaay?"A familiar feminine voice I recognised,called my name.

"Hey,"I replied.

"It's been like years since I last saw you.Good to see you again."She said with a coy smile on her face.