Chapter 8: Just Another Shift

Levi's POV

The sleepover soon concluded... and Eren wasn't having it. He was upset because he really liked sleeping over with Iris and Hanji. Though he seemed to cheer up when I've told him that we might be organizing another sleepover at our house. On Monday morning, Farlan called me up to have Hanji to come up for an interview about her case. And since she babysits Eren...

"I-Iris can come over?!" Eren's eyes went wide as he was helping me make some tea in the morning as Hanji was making her morning coffee. "I-I can play with her and Mikasa?!"

"Yeah- just as long as you don't bother the other people working. The normal rules as usual."

"Yay!" Eren turns to Iris, giggling to her. "You hear? We're gonna play with my friends at Daddy's work! It'll be fun! And you can meet Mikasa! The friend that's there!"

Iris smiled softly, tugging on her mother's arm. "Is that okay? I thought you said we had to stay home..."

Hanji knelt in front of her daughter, smiling softly. "Well... Mommy has to do some things at Levi's workplace. Besides, you'll be in a safe place with Eren. You'll have loads of fun. Just follow along the rules and stay close to Eren, alright?"

"I'll protect you!" Eren says, giggling.

Iris slowly nodded her head, hugging Eren. "O-Okay then..."

I turned to Hanji, chuckling a bit. "We can take my car. I can drop you and Iris back here before descending back home-"

"Or..." Hanji says, slowly sipping her coffee. She avoided trying to look deep in my eyes- was she upset of what happened last night? "You guys can stay here tonight again... I don't mind having you guys over here."

Apparently, Eren is an eavesdropper. He crawled up to me, tugging on my shirt. When I peered down into him, he gave a mischievous smile as he started to ask a question. "What if... they slept over at our house, Daddy? Is that okay?"

"Well... I don't mind if they stay over at our house. Go and ask Miss Hanji if Iris can stay over."

Eren did just that. He ran over to Hanji, tugging on her arm. "Miss Hanji, can you and Iris stay over at our house tonight? Please? Daddy can make his special pasta if you joined us! Please! Pretty please!"

I chuckled a bit, shaking my head a bit. He always like to add little things into his pleas. But, I didn't mind. We would have to stop by a grocery store first before heading back home. "Well... I guess that's okay... say, Levi, it's just for this night, correct?"

"Or you can stay longer." I say with a smile growing on my face. "It doesn't matter, really."

Hanji smiled softly, nodding her head a bit. "Well... Eren... since your father doesn't mind... we can stay over for tonight." Eren had to hold in his cheer as Hanji continued on. "Though... we might stay longer than just tonight. Depending on situations."

*   *   *

"Okay, okay, let's go!" The second we got inside of my workplace, Eren had taken Iris' hand and ran inside of the workplace. Of course, I knew that he was going straight to where Mikasa was staying for awhile. 

I chuckled a bit, taking Hanji's hand and started to lead her towards Farlan's desk. "Alright- you can just go in and talk to him. I gotta get started on my job right now. Just tell the truth- he'll help resolve it. Because I'm too close to you, he wants to ensure that the case would be reviewed unbiased."

She nodded her head, walking inside of Farlan's office.

I sighed softly, going back to my desk to get started. As much as I tried to keep a focused facade... I couldn't stop thinking about Hanji. Whatever we've done... I want to regret it... but I just can't seem to regret it. It stays in my mind- haunting me. I... I can't believe that I've fallen for her.

*   *   *

Just when the clock ticked for lunch, Hanji walked into my office, having a smile on her face. Unlike what I've expected... she walked around my desk, planting a kiss on my lips. Taken aback by this action, she sat on my desk, blushing like crazy. She had to cover her mouth- probably to try and cover up most of her face turning red.

"What's with that?" I chucked amusingly. "Something happened over there with Farlan?"

She shrugged her shoulders a bit, leaning down towards me. "I did have to confess to him about our relationship turning intimate. He said that it's fine... since he was taking charge."

"Ugh..." My eyes rolled a bit as I counted the seconds until Eren into my office with Mikasa and Iris in tow. "That's good... I'm glad that it happened way before the time of our case. But if something does happen to you during our relationship... I can't stay on the case- but I can stay on it by being a witness. That's alright with you?"

Hanji continued to lean forward, kissing my cheek. "That's completely fine with me. Though... I don't know about our relationship anymore." She says with a soft chuckle. "Should I be afraid how fast we've fallen?"

"I don't know. I guess it depends on how well we can work together unprofessionally."

"Well... we can leave it with that night- okay? We'll take it slowly."

"At least give me one last kiss." I chuckled, pulling her in for a full-blown kiss on the lips. The fire that only seemed to be embers was now growing. The one person I've fallen for... was Hanji. That night should remain a secret between us two... that night...

We heard some giggles when I turned to the door. Iris was hiding behind both Mikasa and Eren- they were all peering into my room. I coughed a bit, getting up from my seat. I didn't realize it could've been possible to get embarrassed by kids that are just a fraction of my age. I cleared my throat, trying not to smile.

"You guys hungry? Let's go and get some pizza."

The kids all cheered a bit, but I know that they were planning something between each other. Mostly... something about me and Hanji. I just had that feeling. I might be insane... but it's the truth. Even though they are all toddlers, they have some sort of sinister feeling to them.