Chapter 22: Holidays

Levi's POV

The scene of the two little kids unwrapping their gifts were just satisfying. Though I grimaced from the wrapping paper flying in the room, I knew they would pick it up. Their awes filled the air, and their hugs were almost never enough. Present after present, they were joyful- smiling softly. 

"Happy birthday, Levi." I turned to Hanji, seeing her smile and giving me a wrapped boxed. "Come on- don't feel like you had to be left out. You need to enjoy today as well."

I chuckled, taking it. "I don't mind not getting anything. It's Christmas- I want the kids to be happy. That's my birthday wish- just to see them smiling at the gifts they received. Why should I ask for anything more?"

She kissed me softly, smiling gently. Such a motherly's touch in her endearment. "Why? Because you're about... I think... 32 years old right now? 33? Am I hitting the right dots?"

"Off by a ton. 37."

"Still... 37? Enjoy life a bit more."

"Four-eyes, I have." I chuckled. The kids were already playing with their toys- ignoring their paper mess that had surrounded them. Oh well, they'll clean it up after they're done. What's the point in bothering their happiness? "I raised Eren, I found you guys... I proposed to you. All that's left is for us to host a wedding."

"At least have me participate in the planning."

I chuckled, pulling her close and kissing her. "Of course. Like I would neglect you like that for our wedding. For now, let's wait until the holidays roll over and we'll start our plan."

With a nudged by her hip, she chuckled and smiled with a slight blush on her face. "Well... why don't we start planning... say after today. Let's just enjoy the holiday and celebrate your birthday."

"If I'm honest, which I am, how can I celebrate my birthday? Today's a holiday, Hanji. There's no way I can go out and celebrate it with you guys because of the holiday. Everything's bound to be closed- except a few stores. But that's it."

She smiles softly, gently poking my nose. "And that's why you have me. To prep for this- I complied a small list of open places tonight for dinner. I know today's a holiday, but I want you to have a proper birthday. That means... I'll buy a cake for you. Share it with the kids- how's that?"

"You don't need to do this for me-"

"Please... as your fiancee, let me do this for you."

I chuckled a bit, looking back at the kids. "Alright... fine then... I'll go wherever you want to go. You're not driving- deal?"

Hanji nodded her head softly, "Of course. But... it's not where I want to go- it's where you want to go."

An eyebrow rose on my face as I looked confusingly at her. "But... you're the one that wanted to go out for my birthday to celebrate it- I don't understand where you're coming from, Hanji. Slow down, make it somewhat simple."

"I said that I complied a list of places that will be open- despite it being a holiday. You can go through the list, figure out where you want to go from that list, and we'll go to that place. Maybe if Farlan and Isabel are available, ask them to watch the kids?"

I shook my head. "No... I rather celebrate it with the kids. Eren... I know he knows that my birthday lands on Christmas... and he knows we hardly go anywhere on this day. For one day... I think it'll make him happy beyond reasonable boundries to help celebrate my birthday. I only said no to going out because... I was afraid. You know how crazy people get on the holidays- and I don't care if there's nothing but a few inches of snow- ice is dangerous."

Was it wrong to list those reasons?

"Hanji... I just... don't want to lose him. That's why we never went out for my birthday. If we get into a bad car accident- I could lose him- or he could lose me. Either way, I didn't want to risk it."

"I assume you don't want to go out tonight then..."

"I don't..."

"So... why agree with me to take me out?"

A downward spiral was where I was heading off. I took her hand and lead her away from the kids. Their happy smiles were proudly worn on their faces as they began to play with their new toys. We walked into the kitchen to have our grown-up talk.

"Well?"

"Hanji..." I say, looking back at the kids to ensure they weren't listening. I take a deep breath, breathing it out slowly. "I... I just don't want to see you... unhappy."

"You could've told me that first..."

"I know-"

Hanji smiled softly, kissing me first. "We can order something for your birthday, huh? How's that? It's a good compromise between us. I get something for you for your birthday, and we can stay home safe and sound- away from the crazy people."

"Agreeable." I chuckled, holding her tightly. "I'll accept that."

"Mommy! Daddy!" I turned down to see Iris, holding her new paint set from Farlan. "Please, can I start this? I wanna do it with Eren!"

I chuckled, taking the paint set from her hands. "Alright- but first, clean up the wrapping paper on the ground. Have Eren help you out. Deal?"

Iris nodded her head, giggling loudly. "Okay!" It wasn't long before she began to shouted gleefully to Eren to clean up the mess. I chuckled, seeing them quickly crumple all wrapping paper and tossing them into the trash. Keeping my promise, I began to set up Iris' paint set. Especially since I had to set up extra paper towels.