Chapter 28: Warnings

Hanji's POV

During the midst of cleaning up the dishes from this afternoon, Levi and Eren made their way back home. I opened my mouth to greet them... but... something seemed off. Levi was filled with this aura of anger. Eren, on the other hand, was scared. In the process of being married into the Ackerman family, I know that Levi wouldn't dare yell at his kid. So what was wrong?

I walked over to them, drying my hands on a towel. "Something wrong, you two?"

Levi put a finger to his mouth, almost telling me to stay quiet. "Eren, you go and shower, okay? Iris, continue watching TV." 

Both of the kids started off to their designated areas, leaving myself and Levi alone in the kitchen area. He leans against the counters, taking in multiple deep breaths. "Levi... what's going on? Did something happen between you and Eren?"

He shook his head. "I wouldn't blame him... I don't blame Eren at all. He was doing everything he could... I don't blame him. I'm not even mad at him."

"Levi, start from the beginning. For me."

His silver-like eyes gleamed a bit as he stared right at me. A soft, gentle smile grew on his face. "Alright then. From the very beginning..."

*   *   *

Levi's POV

Typing away at my office, Farlan barged in with Eren close to his body. Poor Eren... his green eyes were full of worry and fear. I admit, the way Farlan acted was very childish... but I understood why he was like that. His face was pulsing with anger and fear as well- I just never saw Farlan in such a state like that.

"Farlan-"

"He's here."

"Excuse... what?"

Gently, Farlan nudged Eren forward. For the first time, Eren was shaky and refused to speak to me. I left my desk, running straight to Eren. As soon as I got in front of him, I collapsed onto my knees. My hands gently gripped onto Eren's shoulders as I looked at him.

"Eren, please tell me. What happened? You're not going to be in trouble if you talk to me."

Refusing at first, but soon gave in. "I-I accidentally... r-ran away... f-from the playground... a-and a man came to me... h-he needed help... and... I-I helped him... like you do, D-Daddy..." Tears began to fall down his precious cheeks- I helped him wipe them away. "H-He tried... tried to know where m-my parents were... a-and my name... l-like you said... I-I didn't say anything else..."

"Did he say his name?"

"E-Erwin... l-like I-Iris' bad daddy..."

Farlan, held Eren close, hugging him a bit. "Attaboy, Eren."

Not even a nanosecond later, Eren jumped at me and hugged me tightly. "I-I don't wanna get in trouble, Daddy! I don't want to get in trouble! I-I'm sorry, Daddy! I'm sorry!"

With my arms wrapping around him, I held onto him tightly. "It's alright, Eren... you're not in trouble. Trust me... you're not in trouble. It's not your fault that you meet her bad father. You were strong- very strong. Thank you for listening to my rules, Eren. You're not in trouble at all."

I stood up, having Eren wrap his tiny arms around my leg. I could feel my pants getting wet from Eren's constant tears. "Was I too rough?"

"A bit. You treated it like he did everything wrong."

"The only part I caught was him returning from that park across the playground, Levi. I thought he ran off. That's why I brought him up here. Kept talking about bad people on the way up here."

"Farlan," I say with a deep growl, "do not jump to conclusions. Especially with kids. Number one rule here, Farlan."

*   *   *

Should I have held back information from Hanji...? I saw her reaction once I told her about her ex being seen at my workplace. Her hand over her mouth, trying to keep her from shouting words. Somehow- just somehow- she managed to keep a calm demeanor. 

"Hanji-"

"Did you manage to get rid of him?"

"We're in the process of that, Hanji." I kissed her soft cheek and gently caressing it. "Don't stress about it too much, love. Okay? I don't want you to stress over this... because I should be worrying about it. Especially since those attacks could be towards me. He came to my workplace. I can handle him."

She perked up her head, confused and ready to speak to me. 

"Hanji, I can handle him. For you, you need to worry about your own health. I can take care of the rest. Let me handle it, okay?"

I knew she was still going to worry, but I promised that I wouldn't let anything get to her. What I said was true: the baby matters first. I would drop anything to ensure that both Hanji and the baby are safe. After all... those two matter to me the most. Iris and Eren were old enough to know that the little ones are important. Soon enough... they will be equally important.

"Okay then..."

I kissed her once more, smiling softly. "I promise. If I somehow break that promise- by all means... you are welcome to punish me."

"Levi..."

"Too much?"

Hanji chuckles softly, pushing a few stray strands behind her ear. "A bit... yeah... but... I know that if it's somehow broken... it wouldn't be by your own fault." She kisses me with a soft chuckle. "Levi... don't worry too much about me... I can handle myself."

"What, I can't worry too much for both the woman I love and our children?"

"It's just... you have a lot of... a lot of protective instinct." It was with a soft chuckle. Her brown eyes glinting brightly. "I love it so much."

"Just... just be careful." I say, holding her hand. "I mean it..."