monophobia

Monophobia
(n.) The fear of being alone.

...

Chapter 80

____________

At some point in the car ride, my eyes had slipped shut and the exhaustion took over. The sleep wasn't peaceful, the way I was woken up was even more annoying. When I blinked my eyes open the first I face I see is Carlos's.

"For fucks sake Tara, who the fuck falls asleep while kidnapped?"

"Fuck you." I muttered out slowly. Then I noticed the blood trickling down Carlos's forehead. And the car was turned left side down. My seatbelt was keeping me held in place. I sleepily, did as instructed by Carlos and took my seatbelt off and let him drag me out of the car window. Once my feet planted on the ground I rubbed the sleep off my eyes. Nothing surprised me anymore. Not even getting in a accident while being kidnapped and now Cameron and his gang members were not anywhere to be seen. We were in the middle of the highway, the car absolutely shattered into pieces.

"Wha-what happened?" Came my million dollar question.

Carlos rolled his eyes as he wiped the blood off and sat down, right there on the concrete. "We got in an accident, of course."

"That much I can see you son of a bitch. Tell me where are the vipers?" I finally snapped. Carlos looked up, grinning like a devil. He was one. "They came for us Tara."

No I didn't understand his words first. Who will come for us? But, oh, there are people.

My people.

My heartbeat picked up as I frantically looked around. There was no one in sight. Did they come? Did they really?

"They did, yeah. Currently chasing after Cameron and his little friend who are trying to escape on a bike. Tell me princess, who do you think will win? A bike or a Range Rover?" Carlos was so amused. My chest felt light, as if for the first time in the last twenty four hours, I breathed in air. And I felt so light.

"Tough to say now but we have the upper hand of course." I replied and I slowly took the jacket off. It was far too hot. The wind made my pink hair fly across my face. "Did you see? Who was in the car?"

The smile fades off of Carlos's face. "Not clearly but James is huge, so I could tell. But there were others too. Don't worry Tara, he's fine and he's safe." His voice was surprisingly soft. I hesitantly took a seat by his side. My eyes roaming over the destroyed car I've been sleeping wand noticed a man laying limply inside. I screamed, of course.

"Oh that, he probably has a few minutes left to live." Carlos drawled. As if it were the most common sights we get to see daily. Then his head whips towards me. "It's your first time seeing a man die!"

I winced. "Did you really have to say that out loud?"

"Err, See I don't know if it makes you feel any better but uhm, imagine the things they would've done to you, if their group was alive. Maybe that'll convince you that they're better off di- not breathing." Carlos spoke. I didn't reply for a while, just stared at my toenails intently. "They would've raped me?"

"Yeah that and then some more. You're literally Xander's daughter, you know?"

I looked up at him, eyes narrowed. The blood he wiped off left half of his face tainted in red. "You know, you suck at comforting people. Don't ever try that again."

He lazily took out his packet of cigarettes. "Noted, boss."

"I'm not your boss." My reply sounded curt. Carlos simply chuckled. "Oh but if the opportunity was presented-"