meliorism

Meliorism
(n.) The belief that the world gets better.

...

Chapter 75

_____________

               Our group piled out of the vehicles and I saw the owner peek at us from inside through the window, his eyes widening slightly. This big group only meant one thing, trouble.

"I wanted this to be a cute date, but thank you everyone for coming along. You can still leave if you want." Ethan tried one last time. Some didn't hear him, some ignored him.

"Oh no, don't worry. We'd love to keep you company." Shawn winked at him before James and he started talking. We started towards the art gallery. It was a real good date idea Ethan had picked out for his five months anniversary with Tyler, but we crashed it. This is the third date we crashed in one week and Ethan was on the edge. He was about to snap. Soon.

"Can't wait time see some Victorian tits." Atlas clapped his hands excitedly. Ethan almost choked on his spit. "Tits? We're a gay couple on a gay date. You don't think we're here to see tits, do you?" He asked him.

"Isn't that what art galleries do? Those perverts artists draw tits and show them to the world." Atlas said again and I felt almost sorry for him. Living with his brain might be very difficult.

"Not always." I told him.

"So I can see some ass too?"

Sighing, I ignored his remark and walked to Adrian. He wrapped an arm around my shoulder. "You wanna go somewhere else and make out there?" He suggested. Laughing, I shook my head. "You'll have to wait for now. Let's spend some good time together."

We climbed up the stairs and entered the art gallery but James, Shawn and Chandler stayed on the footpath, laughing like maniacs. "Get a move on!" Adrian urged them. But their inner joke needed to be laughed at some more. Scowling, Ethan walked past me and into the exhibition.

It took us ten minutes to properly enter the gallery. The guy who seemed like he was in charge, threw suspicious glances at us. Atlas, Zach and James scurried off to find tits. Shawn, Adrian and Chandler insisted they want a smoke and excused themselves. That left us three. Tyler, Ethan and innocent little me.

Sensing that they'd want to spend some together, I walked away and stared intently at a piece on the wall. Ethan said it's modern art but to me it was some paint thrown across the canvas. I don't do modern arts. I paint sceneries, sometimes I try to draw hands. I sketch. Art is not really my thing. Maybe, being in a gang is my thing. Chasing after Vipers, dealing drugs, following people, beating them up with baseball bats. I'm surprising I'm talented in that part. A deep sigh left me. I'm not sure if I'm cut out for that life either. I can't just hurt people.

What I did to Nate was simply self defense. What Atlas did to Nate was... well that was scary. Murdering someone is just.... I can't find words to describe it. I could say wrong, but that would mean Atlas did wrong. My brain doesn't want to accept it. Atlas isn't bad, he did that to protect me.

I'm torn between what's right and what's wrong.

"Did you find the hidden meaning of life in this painting babe?" Adrian snakes his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to him. I chuckled and rested against him.

"I guess you could say that." I murmured as Adrian buried his face in my neck pressed a small kiss. "You smell so good." He whispered only for me to hear. I smiled and slightly turned to face him.