Wolves, Spice, and Everything Nice

So, here I am, walking through the hallways. It’s the period before lunch and all I really wanna do is get through the day, unbothered. I have my black glasses on my nose and my hair is in a lazy bun, the tips coming undone. I threw on a pair of jeans and a v-neck because I really couldn’t care less about my attire.

The hallway I go down is empty; it always is. It’s the hallway I have to go through to get to AP Creative Writing. I would usually walk with my best friend, Chris, but he’s been out since the first day of school. It’s Friday, the end of the first week. The first week as seniors and he’s not here to enjoy it.

The first month of summer I would hang out with him everyday. The second month flew in and I went over to his house and found his mom. She was acting weird, said he went to another state to visit his cousins. Said he wouldn’t be back for a very long time.

So, my curiosity grew and I called him. Texted. E-mailed. I got nothing in return. I thought he gave up on me and just left. Moved to the state with his cousins. So I returned to his mom with anger. She wouldn’t even answer the door.

So I gave up.

And now I walk the halls alone.

Until now.

I’m suddenly pushed up against some red lockers, forearms on either side of my face. His body pushes against me in every last spot. It’s warm, warmer than mine. And he feels stronger, tougher than I last saw him. His brown hair is pointed, falling over his eyes. It’s messy and looks layered, but it’s not. And his eyes are more…blue. Sparkling. Light.

“Hey, Ken,” He breathes out, grinning toothily at me.

I stare at him in shock. “Chris! Oh my god!” I wrap my arms around his neck, swinging my legs over him. He pulls away from the wall, groaning softly, wrapping his arms around my waist. He spins us around gently, laughing. I pull my head back, grinning. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too, princess,” He sighs, with a slight smile.

I’m put down on my feet. And I realize I’m staring into his chest. I look up at him, mouth dropping. I take two steps back to see him fully. He’s taller; too tall to become in three months. It’s like he grew a foot taller. And he’s so tan; I wonder what state he was in. And he definitely did not have those muscles the last time I saw him.

“Chris…” I trail off, unsure of how to put my findings. “…you’re so…different.”

A smirk. “My cousins toughened me up a little.”

I was always more athletic than him. I’m on cross country, I should be. But it seems like he’s been playing sports his whole life. And then I realize I should be angry with him. My eyes narrow and it starts building in my chest. “You are the worst friend I’ve ever had!” Lie. He’s the only friend I’ve ever had.

Guilt flashes in his eyes. “I know I am.”