Casino Floors and Jail Cell Doors

“Just wait here, okay? I promise I’ll only be a minute,” My dad begs, eyeing up the place where you bet sports.

I let out a dramatic sigh. “Fine, leave me here…all alone…”

“It’ll take really quick. I’ll be in and out.”

“Dad, the line is like, 20 miles long.”

“I love you. Stay here,” He kisses my head, then runs off to get a good spot in line.

My dad is obsessed with horse racing. He always has been. Right now, we’re in some random casino for him to pick out his horses that he thinks are going to win. Because I’m 17, I’m not allowed over at the betting area, so I have to stay at the entrance. The only reason I came along was because I was bored. I don’t see how this beats being bored, though. Now I’m just bored at the entrance of a casino.

I slump against one of the giant, egg shell poles that they put up for decoration. For some reason, this is a special race that everybody wants to bet on. There’s at least thirty people in line right now and that’s only the people that are behind my dad.

“Well, well, well,” A voice drags out slowly and cockily, “if it isn’t Jamie Sims.”

Because I’m on the floor, leaning against the pole, I have to look up to see who said my name. I instantly regret it.

Pierce Tally comes sauntering over to me, a big fat smirk placed on his face. I groan and burry my face in my knees. He looks the same, just a little bit taller since middle school. Same shaggy blonde hair and baggy clothing. It just makes his stick like figure even more skinnier. 

Pierce and I go back since 7th grade. He was the school president and was on every sport there. I was in student council with him, and he made fun of me till no end. I hated every fiber of his being. And, of course, what’s a school star without his cheerleading girlfriend? I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re still together. They were sickening all throughout middle school.

I went to a different high school than him, so I haven’t seen him up until now. These years have been very peaceful without him in it. I never even liked him. Okay, I did have a itsy bitsy crush on him in 8th grade, but that flew out the door when he called me ugly in the new dress I came to school in. I spent hours trying to find a pretty dress for the last day of school and he just had to go and ruin it.

He takes a seat next to me as I pick my head up. A low whistle comes from his mouth. “High school has been good to you.”

I guess he could say that. In middle school I had braces and brown hair I would always pull into a ponytail. Thick glasses were on the bridge of my nose. But now, those braces are replaced with shiny white teeth. I ditched the ponytail to let my loose brown hair fall onto my shoulders. I wear contacts now to reveal my bright brown eyes. And yeah, I got…curvier.

“I wish I could say the same,” I retort, watching as his smirk falls off his face.