Chapter 5-My Village People

The idiot on his part does a double take when he sees me, but all this goes unnoticed by Mrs Adetoye in her eagerness to introduce us.

"Oluwatobi meet Miracle Adichie. Late Mr Adichie's daughter", she gestures towards me and the idiot just stood there not moving until he offers me a wave.

"Hi", he says and I wave back not bothering to reply.

Amelia immediately jumps in, standing in front of him,"Tobi it's been a while. How are you?", she asks in an overly sweet voice.

"Fine", he offers her a small smile.

We all lapse into awkward silence before Mrs Adetoye breaks it,"don't worry soon enough you'll become close and stop this shy shy you people are doing. You and Amelia just help Miracle fit in".

"Aunty what about me na I want to be her friend too", a voice, a very familiar voice says from the car. The owner comes into view and at that moment I hear my village people.

It's our work ooo! Soft work!

"Richard you, you just want to be friends?",Mrs Adetoye points at him twisting her mouth, "I don't want this girl to learn bad thing. Where is Emmanuel?", she asks.

"I'm here", Emmanuel pokes his head out of the car, stares at us like he is assessing the situation before deciding he is not interested and retreats back into the car.

"Aunty no na I'm a very good influence", he then gets out of the car and walks towards me with a smile I don't trust one bit,"it's Miracle right? I'm Richard", he takes my hand laying at my side and shakes it before adding, "have we by any chance met before? You look very familiar".

I snatch my hand back, wiping the shock from my face before turning to Mrs Adetoye and excusing myself on the grounds that I need to find my room which is true.

"OK dear, take care", she replies and I hear her berating her son behind me as I head back to the car.

Getting to the car I realise I'm in a sticky situation as I have this load I need to transport to my yet to be known room in a school I could possibly get lost in. I shift my weight from one leg to the other, unsure of what to do when Amelia returns with the two girls she had been with at the party and two other girls who then proceed to carry her things away while she stands watching them till they move out of sight.

"Time to go", Amelia tells me and I groan.

What do I do now. And like magic two girls approach me and offer to help me with my load.

"Senior Richard sent us", they tell me but when I check I'm unable to find Richard anywhere, shrugging I grab my two suitcases and follow Amelia down the passage way, passing Mrs Adetoye who is already pulling out of her parking space so I just offer her a smile and she waves us goodbye.

Amelia is supposed to show me to my room. My room number and other necessary informations had been sent after my registration.

First she takes me to the bursar's office and after showing my receipt I receive my own pair uniform and hideous house wear. After that she leads me through hallways and out till we get to a building where I can already hear girls chattering. We continue into the building, up a flight of stairs till we get to the fourth floor and walk down the corridor with doors on either sides and we finally stop at the fifth door on the right. The girls drop my things in front of the door and leave.

"This is your room, your roommates will answer whatever question you have so leave me alone", and with that she saunters of to first room on the left. Must be her room.

At least she is not next to my room.

Taking a deep breath I open the door.

"He is insane! Who does he think he is?", and at that moment she turns to me, "you! What are you doing here?!"

I knew it, I knew my village people despised me but this, this is too far.

Of course I should have made the connection. If Emmanuel was attending this school then his sister would be too and his girlfriend shouldn't be far of.

"Um......hi I'm Miracle", safest way to diffuse tension is with a calm introduction............I think.

She eyes my luggage before asking again, "what are you doing here?"

"Ehn you see....I just enrolled into the school and I was assigned to this room", I rush out as she glares at me. Emmanuella just seems as interested as her brother at the passage way.

"I just knew you were trouble from the start", she mumbles before turning away from me.

"Look I wasn't expecting this at all and since this is my first time as a boarder I don't want to spend the term fighting with my roommate. If you have a problem with me just tell me".

Should have just said no. By now I would be getting ready to start an ordinary year in my ordinary school.

"Why are you rambling", she asks.

"What?".

I give you a chance to air out whatever bone you have to pick with me and all you do is ask why I'm rambling?

You are high. No doubt about it.

"Patricia", Emmanuella nugdes her with her elbow.

"Sorry, sorry I know it's not your fault Emmanuel is the biggest idiot on the face of this earth. I'm just really angry".

"Sorry?", I offer and she stares at me before shaking her head and turning towards her bed.

"Hi Miracle", Emanuella walks towards me,"since we've already met I'll just skip the introductions. So what class are you?"

"SS2".

"Great, Patricia and I are also in SS2. What department?"

"Science".

"I'm also in science department but Patricia is in art. Anyway your bed is over there which you'll be sharing with Naomi, she is in SS1 but don't worry she is quiet and doesn't like trouble and if you have any questions you can come to us and I promise Patricia wont be rude".

I slowly walk into the room with my luggage, taking everything in. It's a small squarish room with a window opposite the door and two bunk beds placed on either side of the window, there is a shelf under the window stacked with books while luggages are placed beside the bed. Other than the blue painted wall, ceiling fan and light bulb there is nothing fancy about the room. Just an ordinary dorm room.

"Naomi hasn't picked a bunk yet so you should choose before she comes back", Emmanuella offers as I walk towards the bunk bed opposite theirs. She and Patricia are both sitting on the lower bunk watching me.

Opting for the lower bunk I drop my school bag on the bed.

"You can put your books on the shelf if you want", she offers again.

After giving her a smile I sit on the bed and start bringing out my books, followed by a pack of inhalers. I'm almost reluctant to bring it out with the way they are watching me.

"Are you.....asthmathic", Emmanuella asks.

Should have just left it in the bag. Nodding I continue unpacking the bag bringing out all my books.

I haven't had an attack for a long time but one can never be too sure. Besides the attacks started after my father died and since I've been able to successfully bury that part of my life I've gone a whole year without an asthma attack.

Blinking, I push back all those memories. I just have to survive this school year and the next. No problem at all.