Chapter 38-Repercussions

The next day is Saturday so I spend it mostly in bed. Emmanuella and Patricia keep trying to get me to tell them what happened last night, they had seen me dancing with Tobi then I suddenly disappeared. I don’t tell them anything because I’m not even sure what to make of the events of last night.

   We are walking out of the dining hall after lunch when I bump into Pelumi.

   “Hey,” he smiles at me and I suddenly feel awkward, “Hi,” he adds when he notices Patricia and Emmanuella. They both return his greeting but I’m suddenly tongue tied.

    “I’m going to the library. Do you want to come?” he asks and Patricia and Emmanuella throw me curious looks.

   I’m about to shake my head when I notice Tobi looking around for me. He tried talking to me before lunch but I had dodged him, “okay let’s go,” I grab Pelumi’s hand and quickly walk away.

   “Hold on, what’s the rush?” he laughs and I look at him but don’t reply. We get to the library and immediately head for the sitting area, there is no one there. Pelumi takes advantage of the privacy and pulls me in for a kiss. I quickly pull back.

   “Someone could see us,” I look down.

   “Sorry, I couldn’t stop myself,” he says but I keep my face downwards, “Besides no one comes to the library this early on a Saturday and the librarian is all the way in front,” he lifts my chin up and pecks me softly on the lips.

   “You were all I could think of last night,” he whispers before moving away from me. We take a seat at the farthest corner in the library, far away from prying eyes.

   There is an awkward moment of silence before he says, “Are you okay? You seem distracted.”

   “I’m fine, slightly overwhelmed I guess. Last night was a lot.”

   He takes my hand in his, “If you want to take things slowly I understand.”

   “Is that what this is?” I suddenly ask, “Are we together now?”

   He looks stunned at first before slowly asking, “Do you want us to be together?”

   I look away, “I…what do you want?”

   He doesn’t hesitate before replying, “I want to be with you. Since I got to know you I really admire you and like you.” his eyes is shining with adoration for me, “I actually wanted to ask you to accompany me to the party but chickened out.”

   I focus on his thumb slowly rubbing the back of my hand. Though I look calm my feelings are far from that, there are unknown emotions and uncertainties running around in my head. Didn’t I tell myself I wasn’t going to bother with relationships in secondary school? Then what am I doing here? How did I end up kissing two guys in one night? I exhale and calm my nerves.

   “I’m not sure about this. I don’t even know what I’m doing.”

   “You can think it through, I’m not in a hurry,” he smiles, “Just don’t take too much time.”

   “O…okay,” I quickly get up, “I should go. I have…things to do,” I let him peck the back of my hand before rushing out of the library. The minute I step out I feel like I can finally breathe again, inside had felt so stuffy and uncomfortable. I turn to leave and come face to face with Amelia.

   She smiles viciously, “So are you guys dating now?” she asks. I look at her stunned and her smile gets wider, “I can accept him. I mean its Pelumi, of-no-significance-Pelumi so even if you guys get married tomorrow I won’t care. But my real concern is Tobi, is he really over you? I was quite shocked when I found out he was the one who started the rumour about me, like he was trying to protect you or something.”