Chapter 23- Confession

Emmanuella and Patricia are getting on my last nerves. Ever since they confronted me about Amelia it's like they have been walking on eggshells around me. The other day I caught them in the library, whispering to each other but they suddenly fell silent when I came close. Like dealing with Tobi and Amelia isn't enough. Amelia has gone to great lengths to ensures she is seen with Tobi all over the school, now people won't stop asking me if Tobi and I broke up. Were we dating in the first place!!!

Rubbing my forehead I try to focus on what I'm reading but the words just become blurry. Closing the book, I massage my temple again. I can feel a headache coming on which is a sign that I should really stop thinking about Tobi, Amelia, and every other thing in between.

"Isn't prep over already?", I ask.

"It was five minutes ago but I'm really enjoying this book and since none of you said anything", Emmanuella shrugs and returns to her oh so interesting book. Oversabi.

I must have been so engrossed in my thoughts I didn't notice when time passed. Emmanuella and I stand up to leave but Patricia stays seated, her head in a book.

"Patricia we are leaving", Emmanuella shakes her shoulder and the book drops to reveal a passed out Patricia, softly snoring on the table.

I laugh and Emmanuella shakes her head, "Why am I not surprised", she gives her a violent shake which jolts her up immediately.

"Ehn?", she asks looking confused.

"Prep is over. Continue your sleep at the hostel", Emmanuella turns and leaves the library. Patricia packs her things and follows, throwing me a scathing look when I won't stop laughing at her.

We had just stepped out of the library and turned a corner when we spot two students locked in a passionate embrace. Really? Right in the middle of the hallway?

Patricia coughs loudly as we pass them and they both pull apart. My heart stops. It's Tobi and Amelia.

"You slimy bag of waste", Patricia spits, " You really are a bitch".

Amelia simply gives her a look before turning to me, "Leave here", she says.

I look at Tobi. His shocked expression fades away leaving a blank one, " Don't get it twisted, nothing happened", he faces Emmanuella and Patricia when he talks. He still won't look at me.

"Leave", Amelia says again.

And I do, I walk away as fast as my legs can carry me. I'm walking so fast that I don't see Richard and Emmanuel until I bump into them.

"Wetin na!", he exclaims then realises it's me, "Miracle are you okay?"

Taking a deep breath to compose myself, "Fine, what are you doing here?".

"Waiting for Tobi", he gives me a curious look, "Did you see him? Because we've been waiting for him si.......".

"Miracle!", Patricia huffs as she and Emmanuella catch up with me.

"What is doing three of you", Emmanuel asks as he looks between me and the two girls who are out of breath.

"No! What is doing you two?", Patricia challenges, "Your friend is busy hugging and kissing Amelia and you are just standing here".

"What!!", they both say together.

"What game does he think he is playing? Mtcheeew", Patricia sucks her teeth.

Emmanuel and Richard both glance at me at the same time before rushing off to Tobi.

Sighing, I'm about to walk away when Patricia places herself in front of me.

"No! Aunty you are going to explain yourself today. Forget all that stuff about being an understanding friend. I am being a better friend by snooping so you don't die in silence".

"What is this? I already said its nothing", I say slightly annoyed.

"Miracle we aren't fools. I don't know what hold Amelia has over you but you have to let us in", Emmanuella joins Patricia and stands in front of me.

"The other day I heard her bragging to her friends about how she had you in her palm and can always put you in your place", Patricia touches my shoulder, "What is really going on Miracle".

I don't know if it's the hand on my shoulder or the concern on my face but when I try to say, " it's nothing", my voice cracks.

"Let's go somewhere else", Emmanuella offers and they lead me to the girl's common room.

At first, I try to tell them only a bit of the story but they push till I pour out everything. I start from my father's death, telling them about everything stepmother and Amelia have done to make my life a living hell.

"I'm so sorry", Patricia says, her voice heavy with emotion, "And I kept giving you such a hard time".

"You should report them. What they are doing is wrong", Emmanuella says.

"I just want to survive secondary school and leave that house", I say, wiping my eyes.

Emmanuella immediately pulls me in for a hug and I start crying all over again. We stay in the common room for a while and the girls promise not to tell anyone. Patricia even promised not to tell Emmanuel. But I'm still scared, I keep feeling like something bad is going to happen.

***********

"Witch alert".

"What?"

"Witch alert", Patricia says as we pass Amelia in the hallway. She is coming out of her room and doesn't notice us.

"Patricia really?", I ask.

She simply shrugs, "Was only stating the facts".

" It's just odd that she suddenly isn't chasing Tobi like before", Emmanuella says.

"I know right. It's like she finally got the hint", Patricia strokes her chin, "Or maybe she was tired of embarrassing herself. The whole school was already talking about her".

"So she did not know that one since abi?", Emmanuella sucks her teeth.

"The two of you have problems", I shake my head. That's them. My gossipmonger girlfriends.