Chapter 37- Chemistry

The next day, school closes early but of course Mr. Lawrence just had to squeeze in a few extra minutes of teaching even though his period ended an hour ago! When he finally lets us go everyone literally runs out of the class the minute he steps out, while he watches them with disdain.

Emmanuella, I and a few students are the last to leave and he turns to us when we step out of the class, "At least some people still care about their education. There will be a surprise test on Friday, if I hear it from someone else you will all be in trouble," he walks off.

Emmanuella and I look at each other. What kinda crazy Physics teacher do we have?

We quickly head to our hostel, Patricia has already laid out her dress and is brushing her wig. Most of the girls are wearing wigs since they can't do their hairs. I don't have a wig, not even a gown. I had no idea about the party and of course Amelia didn't see it fit to tell me. I wouldn't have been able to attend the party if Patricia didn't lend me her back up gown. Don't even ask me why she has a backup gown. I don't want to know.

After taking our bath, we prep ourselves. Naomi helps Emmanuella and I pack and style our hair, then we slip into our gowns. I'm in a simple pink off shoulder flare gown that stops just above my knee which I pair with my brown sandals. Emmanuella goes for a more formal dark blue straight gown. She looks like one of those strict teachers who would smack you over the head if you said a single wrong word. Patricia on the other hand is decked in a shimmering armless blue gown stopping just above her knee, she has on a straight shoulder length wig, and very light makeup. The school actually doesn't allow makeup but a few girls like Patricia still want to risk it, hopefully no teacher would be paying close attention to their face tonight.

We walk out of the hostel. Emmanuel and Richard are waiting for us at the entrance. Emmanuel is dressed in a blue dress shirt and khaki, with sneakers. Richard on the other hand is decked in a checkered shirt and black trouser, also with sneakers.

"What are you doing here? I said no," Emmanuella says immediately we step out.

"But your brother said yes, so let's go," Richard stretches his hand out to her.

Emmanuella slaps his hand away, "You and my brother can disappear for all I care. I'm not going to the party with you," she walks off.

"Go after her," Patricia urges Richard and he groans before running after her.

We follow them, giving the bickering couple some distance. We arrive at the hall where the party is taking place, and students are already swarming around as the DJ gives us music. The chairs have been arranged at the back of the hall, leaving a large space as the stage and dance floor. Richard goes up to the stage and joins Priscilla- an SS3 students and the social prefect of the school.

"Welcome ladies and gentlemen to this year's senior bash out!" Richard says into a microphone. Everyone looks at him confused.

"Bash out?" Priscilla asks him.

"Bash, like we are going out with a loud bang. Does no one get my joke?" Richard asks the audience.

"Because you are dry?" someone yells and everyone laughs.

"Hahaha very funny. Unfortunately I'm the MC for today," he smiles, "So deal with it," he sings out and everyone claps.

"I feel embarrassed for him most times," Emmanuel says, looking at his friend with pity.

Fortunately Richard's jokes get better as he and Priscilla host the program. A few games are played, a lot of dance competitions. It's like everyone here wants to show off their moves. And after refreshments are shared it is dance, dance, dance.