Chapter 26- I Don't Want To Ruuun

"Adichie!"

The way that man uses my surname constantly I'm sure my father is turning in his grave with discomfort.

"Would you walk faster?!"

How? You had me running laps on the field for a full 10 minutes. I'm tired!

When I finally reach him he gives me an unamused look and I make a show of holding my side.

"We have not been able to reach your mother, as it is the inter house sport is drawing close so we might have to replace you."

"Okay sir."

"Is there any way to get across to her?"

"None that I know of."

"I'll ask your sister," he dismisses me with a wave.

You do that. The man is obviously looking for more sponsors. Pity stepmother won't be releasing a dime.

I return to the ground I was formerly sitting on.

"Our running queen!" Pelumi says as he plops down beside me.

Glancing at him I say, "You really need to stop. Your other names were bad and this is not better."

"True," he says stroking his chin, "Queenly runner just didn't fit and queener was terrible," he simply shrugs and I know he is going to keep trying till he finds a name that fits.

"How are you?" he asks.

"In pain," I whine.

"You've been saying that for the past two weeks. You are just too lazy."

I shrug, "However you want to see it. I sha know my pain."

"I wish I was the king," he mumbles and I look away. He has been doing that for a while. Making out of the blue comments. Yesterday he told me my eyes sparkle when I smile and Patricia almost choked on her food. For my part have been acting clueless, hoping the more oblivious I act the less interested he will become.

"So what about your UTME?" I ask, changing the topic. Pelumi had recently told me he would be writing his UTME soon.

"It's this Saturday. I'm beyond nervous," he says, his shoulders slumping.

"What school?"

"University of Benin. I applied for law."

"You'll definitely get in. I'm sure of it," I pat his shoulder, "You are very smart." And very relentless.

He gives me a small smile, "Thanks, that means a lot."

"I serve to please," I tilt my head in a mock bow.

************

"Patricia get up," I push her shoulder making her jump.

"I'm up, I'm up!" she looks around dazed and Emmanuella and I shake our head. She slept of during prep again. Patricia packs her things and we are about to leave the library when I notice Pelumi tucked in corner, furiously scribbling on a piece of paper.

Leaving Patricia and Emmanuella I walk towards his table, "Pelumi prep is over. Won't you go to bed?"

"My exam is tomorrow and I feel like I haven't read a damn thing."

I really look at him and notice his red eyes and the bags under them. If I didn't look closely I might not have noticed the little tremors going through his body.

I quickly grab a seat beside him and put my hand on his, "Are you okay?"

"I can't stop thinking of all the worst possible things that could happen tomorrow," he places his head in his hands, "There is so much at stake."

"What's at stake?" I ask puzzled.

He looks at me for a while as if contemplating whether to tell me. Then he sighs, "I'm here on scholarship. I've made it this far because I made sure I remained top of my class since JSS1. And now if I'm able to score above 250 in my UTME, pass all my WAEC papers with nothing below C4 the school will fund me through university. It's just so...so much pressure," he places his head back in his hands, "I'm tired," he mumbles.

I place my hand on his back, "I'm not really the best person to come to with this kind of things seeing as I'm very relaxed about a lot of things and come from a rich background."

He lifts himself up, "Right, I'm sorry for disturbing you," he starts packing his books.

"But! Hear me out," I quickly say when he is about to leave, "But I do know that piling so much worries on yourself is not going to help. You are only going to end up with a headache. You made it this far, didn't you?"

"Yes," he replies.

"From JSS1 to SS3 and not once did you slip, Pelumi you are a genius. Not everyone can brag about that kind of accomplishment. You've got to have confidence in your abilities, stop second guessing yourself. Deep down you know you can do it, you just have to let go of your anxieties. Calm down, breathe, and believe. I have faith you will surpass all your expectations." Wow that was long, I wonder if it worked?

"Thank you," he places his hand on mine. Then he breathes in deeply and exhales.

"I'll remember to calm down, breathe, and believe. Thank you so much."

"I serve to please," I tilt my head.

He gives me a wide smile, "Of course you do."

We both walk towards the hostels together before parting ways.

"Goodnight," I say already walking away.

"Goodnight my queen!" ode.

When I walk into the room Patricia and Emmanuella both turn to me.

"Where were you?" Patricia asks.

"I was talking to Pelumi," I say, dropping my books on the shelf and removing my sweater.

"About what?"

"Stuff. Just a little pep talk before his exam."

"Hmm. Didn't realize you guys were so close," Emmanuella says.

"Whatever. Was just encouraging him," I flop onto my bed, pull my blanket over my body and close my eyes, "Goodnight," then I let sleep take me