Chapter 27- Inter House Sport Day

With only a week left before the inter house sport, the whole school has been doused in feverish anticipation. The school had announced that our sport outfits would be released at the end of the week. All the houses were perfecting their acts, putting in last minutes touches. Mr. Lawrence and Mrs. Benjamin came down hard on yellow house, leaving no room for mistakes.

We already had our mid-term test the previous week and would be vacating for the mid-term holiday immediately after the inter house sport.

We had our heat two days before the inter house sport. Latifat qualified for the 100-metre race, but wasn't able to qualify for the 200-metre race, Tobi on the other hand qualified to run in the 200 and 400-metre race and so did Richard who was pumped about competing with Tobi. I qualified to run in the 200-metre race and would also be running in the relay race. And let me tell you the pressure is too much. Mr. Lawrence just would not give me space to breath. The other night I dreamt I was back at home, buying a movie from Akpan as usual when he morphed into Mr. Lawrence with a whistle in his mouth.

"Run Adichie," he growled and I took off with him chasing after me.

"Lift your legs properly! Keep your hands close to your sides! You are owing me up to five hundred naira!!"

After that I had concluded that the pressure was really getting to me and I was slowly losing it. That, or my debts with Akpan were catching up with me.

Unsurprisingly, my role as queen was taken from me and given to Mariam. I can deal with losing the role but I seriously cannot deal with Mariam prancing around, throwing me smug grins whenever she can. Shrew.

I was thoroughly over the whole inter house sport crap so it was with great joy that I received Saturday, the 19th- inter house sport day.

The girls and I dress up in our respective sportswear and take turns braiding ribbons in our house colour into our hair, except for Patricia who had gone out with her house mistress yesterday to get her hair done. We head to the school field where the inter house sport will be taking place. The spectators stand has been sectioned, each house given its section. Immediately we step onto the field Patricia is whisked away to prepped and put into her dress, and Mr. Lawrence drags me to the yellow house section and orders me to sit and not get up till he tells me to.

"Miracle here!" Pelumi waves at me, he saved me a seat. Looks like Mr. Lawrence had given the 'sit down!' order to all yellow house athletes.

"You good?" Pelumi asks me.

"Yeah," I reply. Then I notice his jittery actions. His right leg can't seem to stop tapping the floor and he keeps looking around, "Are you good?"

"Of course. Why won't I be?"

"You are just running relay. Calm down," I touch his leg, stopping its feverish tapping.

"Right, of course," he mumbles.

I look around to see the whole place covered in ribbons of different colours. There is the high table for the judges and other dignitaries. The whole field is alive with activities and excitement.

Exactly at 10:00 am the proprietress opens the event with a prayer.

"Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the 25th annual inter house sport of Jefferson high school!" the sports master announces and the student roar with excitement.

We start with the marching parade with blue house performing first. Patricia and Emmanuel walk behind the marching band. She is in a stunning white gown, armless with a sweet heart neckline, hugging her body perfectly. The gown starts of white from the neck to the hip, then changes to a beautiful shade of turquoise blue which turns to a darker shade of blue at the tip of the dress. Emmanuel is in a black three piece suit with a turquoise blue tie giving of a regal vibe. They look amazing together as Patricia smiles and waves, blowing kisses everywhere while her entourage dance around her and Emmanuel, throwing little blue petals around them. They are like some kind of royal power couple.

Blue house marches off, giving the stage to green house and I spot Emmanuella among the marching band wearing the same stern expression as her brother. What is it with them and that face? After that I lose interest till red house takes the stage and I notice Amelia in a stunning of shoulder red short gown, little diamonds adorn the gown.

I didn't know she was the red house queen. Guess they were able to reach step mother after all.

Then comes yellow house marching with so much precision, like well-seasoned soldiers. The yellow house section immediately goes wild! Students stomping their feet and clapping.

An SS3 student is the one leading the parade, her voice ringing out amidst the playing band and shouting students. They move quickly and smoothly, following her every order.

And as for the king and queen, Tobi looks...good. He has on a three piece suit with a black tie, the only hint of yellow being the napkin in his jacket pocket. And Mariam also looks beautiful, decked in a yellow ball gown. An off shoulder gown hugging her from her chest to waist and then flaring out beautifully. Like Patricia she is waving and smiling. The marching parade suddenly part making a path for the Tobi and Mariam to walk through, they walk up to the judges and Mariam lifts her crown off her head and places it on the director's own. She gives her winning smile before they turn around and walk back to join the band again. We lock eyes at that moment and her smile turns vicious.

You can take a shrew out of hell and put her in a pretty dress, but she would still be a shrew.

"Amazing wasn't it?" the sports master says after yellow house marches off and the students applaud.

"They selected such beauties as queens. I think the house masters deserve an applause, don't they?" the students explode into feet stamping and applause.

"Now for the sporting event. We will start with the juniors."

With the sporting events started. Mr. Lawrence quickly huddled us together and gives a brief pep talk.

"Don't disappoint me."

Very motivating.

Soon enough they get to the seniors. Latifat gets up when they call contestants for the female 100-metre race. She gives the girls a massive gap and comes first.

After that is the 200-metre male race. Tobi gets up. Richard smiles and throws his hand around Tobi, saying something which causes Tobi to hit him and burst into laughter.

"On your mark!" the sports master says and everywhere falls into silence.

"Get set....go!"

They take off. Red and blue house in front with Tobi and Richard behind. They look like they are on a jog while having a conversation as Richard laughs at something Tobi says. Then they cross the first lap and they both pick up speed, easily passing the two boys in front. They are neck and neck, and just at the last moments Richard throws himself at the finish line.

"And the winner for the male 200-metre race. Green house!" the green section goes wild.

"Adichie! You are up!" Mr. Lawrence yells as the sports master calls contestants for the female 200-metre race.

Slowly getting up, I rub my sweaty palms on my short.

"You can do this," Pelumi grips my hand, "Calm down, breath and believe."

I give him a small smile and walk towards the field.

"Don't bring shame to us Adichie!" a voice calls out and I look to the source. Amelia is sitting at the red house section, smiling maliciously, "Don't be a disgrace!"

Ignore, ignore.

I join the other contestants already on the field and the sports master immediately huddles us together.

"Okay, you know the rules. No foul play or you are disqualified," we all nod and disperse. I take that time to look at my opponents and stop. They are all SS3 students! They are all bigger than me!

Another update! I'm on a roll!!!! So how are y'all doing. *in my bro's voice* coro na bastard