Chapter 30- Work In My Favour Fate!

Emmanuella, Patricia and I are in our room when the house mistress comes to inform Patricia and me that her dad and my step mother were here to pick us. I pack my things and leave the room, feeling like I’m walking to my death. Amelia is also coming out of her room.

   “Miracle hurry up. Don’t keep mom waiting,” she says with glee and walks off.

  “Don’t mind her,” Emmanuella places her hand on my shoulder. She decided to accompany us downstairs but completely refused to help anyone carry their luggage. Lazy.

   We get to the passage way and I immediately spot step mother and Mrs. Adetoye talking.

    Patricia immediately leaves us and runs into the arms of a man that looks exactly like her. I on the other hand slowly count my steps till I reach step mother. Amelia and Tobi are in the back seat. What is Tobi doing in step mother’s car?

   “Miracle!” Mrs. Adetoye immediately throws her hands around me, “How are you? I heard you were not feeling well.”

   “I’m fine now,” I say, giving her a smile.

   She touches my forehead before saying, “If you say so but I think you should get yourself checked when you get home.”

   “Okay I’m here. Let the journey begin!” Richard swaggers in, followed by two girls carrying his luggage.

   “This one has come,” Mrs. Adetoye says, but goes over to give him a hug.

   “Where is the car?” Richard asks after looking around.

   “My car is at the mechanic. I had to call Mrs. Adichie to give me a ride to come pick you up.”

   Richard immediately looks at me and I just wished for the ground to swallow me up.

   “Oya lets go. We don’t want to get stuck in traffic,” step mother says.

   I can’t get into that car! Fate you bastard work in my favour for once!

   “Miracle lets go,” Mrs. Adetoye says when I don’t move. I lift my leg a foot at a time and look at the space I would have to squeeze into. I hate my life.

   “Miracle! Miracle!” I turn around to see Patricia and Emmanuella rushing towards me, “Do not get into that car!” Patricia grabs my shoulder.

   “Why?” I ask, slowly prying the crazy person’s hands of me.

   “The trip na!” she pulls me into a hug, “Play along,” she whispers.

   “Mrs. Adichie my dad agreed to let Miracle go with us,” she gives step mother her brightest smile.

   “Go where?” step mother asks, giving Patricia a catious look.

   “Don’t you remember? Miracle called you two weeks ago to ask your permission to let her join my dad and I in our outreach program for this year. Remember she told you it was an event my dad’s church organizes every year to help people.”

   Step mother looks beyond confused, “Young lady….”

   “Remember I’d tried calling you all through that week but it wasn’t going through, even Mr. Lawrence wasn’t able to reach you but somehow Amelia was so I asked her to tell you about it, didn’t she tell you because she told me you said yes, right?” I turn to Emmanuella and Patricia.

   “Yeah, I remember being there,” Patricia says.

   “Me too,” Emmanuella adds.

   Step mother throws me a vicious look, “You…”