Chapter 036: Build New House

Qin Mian also had asked Lei Tie to invite Lei Daqiang, Lei Xiangren, Lei Xiangyi and Lei Xiangli when there were many people on the road. It was only an invitation out of showing manner because otherwise, an 'unfilial' hat would fall, and he and Lei Tie would have a bad reputation in the village. Whether Lei Daqiang and company would like to come or not was their problem. Now, it was enough for the two families to maintain their sentiments on the surface.

Before that day came, Lei Tie went to the mountain with a bow set and a basket on his back. If he could hunt some prey, they didn't need to spend money.

Lei Tie grabbed a stick in front of him to beat the grass and frighten way the snake[1]. In his basket, there was a new and slightly smaller basket.

[1]打草惊蛇 [dǎ cǎo jīng shé] = beat the grass and frighten away the snake — act rashly and alert the enemy.

Qin Mian followed empty-handed. His idea was that since Lei Tie was a kung fu expert, they wouldn't be in danger on the mountain, so he took going up the mountain as a tour. Two days ago, there was an autumn rain. In the wet underbrush, there were patches of mushrooms huddled together like small umbrellas. They stood lively and fully in the underbrush, making whoever saw them happy.

The mushrooms were fresh and beautiful. Qin Mian took out the shovel in the basket to dig. Although he didn't communicate with Lei Tie, they went up the mountain many times at a time and had a tacit understanding. Lei Tie grabbed the bow set and turned around looking for prey. In a short time, he hunted a hare weighing more than 3 jin.

When the farmers were done with the work on the farmland, they were idle. Since the two people were not in a rush, after Qin Mian had dug up the surrounding mushrooms, they went deep into the mountain.

It was just that the dew was too dense. Although the two people wore an extra pair of trousers, their trouser legs were still wet and felt a little cold when they stuck onto the flesh.

Lei Tie's trousers were also wet below the knees, but he paid no mind to it.

"Is there any big animal in the mountain? If you can hunt a big one, the hide can use to make several kneepads to keep warm and waterproof."

"There is. Go further in." Lei Tie caught a glimpse of a brown snake on Qin Mian's left side, peering out of the grass silently. Without batting an eyelid, the stick in his hand poked and jabbed, the snake then flew far away.

"What's wrong?" Qin Mian looked up inexplicably when he heard the sound of leaves rustling.

"Nothing."

There was a stabbing pain in the back of his hand. Qin Mian looked down and it turned out that he had been scratched by a branch. There was a small tree over a person tall bearing red wheat-sized fruits with thorns grown slightly obliquely upward the branches.

"Why careless?" Lei Tie saw a long and thin scratch on the back of his hand and frowned.

"This is..." Qin Mian couldn't believe his eyes. A few days ago, he was still lamenting that there was no Sichuan pepper in this world. Today, he found it on the mountain. In his previous existence, there were three types of Sichuan pepper trees in his grandfather's vegetable garden.