Chapter 067: Henceforth, Celebrate the New Year Together (3)

Lei Tie's ears were dyed with a layer of light red as he said like nothing was wrong: "It was written by others. I rewrote them when I saw his words were common."

Inwardly, Qin Mian felt both sweet and funny. He just thought that it was impossible for Lei Tie to write such straightforward sentences with his temperament. He was quite amused as he stared at Lei Tie's ear roots. The man who was as cold as a blade edge would blush in embarrassment.

"The food is scorched." Lei Tie pushed him to the kitchen.

Qin Mian looked at him with a smile before entering the kitchen.

Lei Tie took out the red lanterns[1] that he specially bought and hung them under the eaves of the courtyard gate. He went back to the central room and found scissors to cut wicks for four oil lamps. The room became brighter.

[1] the kind that isn't easily blown by wind.

Entering the kitchen, he looked at Qin Mian, who was focused on cooking. He picked up the charcoal brazier and placed it under the dining table. He moved the charcoals with tongs to make the fire more vigorous.

"Help serve the dishes." Qin Mian shouted, listening to the movement in the dining room.

They served the dishes on the table. The whole central room was filled with rich aromas. In the middle of the table was a hot pot cooked on a charcoal stove. Meatballs, fish balls, lotus root balls, and tofu dregs balls broiled among the thin slices of meat and the emerald green leaves. Around the hot pot, there were more than a dozen of dishes, such as roasted red spareribs, "perfectly clean" tofu mixed with chopped shallot, "auspicious" chestnuts stewed chicken, "longevity" fried noodles, "surplus every year" two braised carps[2], "well-rounded" braised pork balls in brown sauce, "a hall of gold and jade[3]" corns, green peas, and diced carrots, crispy shrimps with tea leaves, sliced beef in hot chilli oil, flavoured duck, and soy sauce marinated streaky pork with bright colour and strong aroma, making people salivated.

[2] Eating two fish, one on New Year's Eve and one on New Year's Day, (if written in a certain way) sounds like a wish for a surplus year after year.

[3] abundant wealth or many children in the family.

Lei Tie's eyes twinkled. His wife's cooking was like an inexhaustible treasure. There were surprises almost every day.

Qin Mian cut a large bowl of meat for White Spot. Then, he arranged the tableware, wine cups, and wine jar, and looked at Lei Tie inquisitively, "Worship first?"

Lei Tie nodded. He brought the boiled pig's head in the kitchen to the altar, lit the thick incense joss sticks in two incense burners, knelt down, and reached out to Qin Mian, "Wife, come here."

Qin Mian hesitated for a moment, but still walked over and knelt down side by side with him. Since he could be reborn, who could say that there was no God in this world? He simply knelt and sought peace of mind.

Lei Tie lightly stroked his head, lit a stack of yellow paper[4], took out three incense joss sticks, and kowtowed three times. In his heart, he silently worshipped gods and deceased relatives and then inserted the incense joss sticks on the pig's head. It was a simple but prudent sacrifice.