Chapter 103: Purchasing Sweet Potatoes and Potatoes

Qin Mian hired eight women in the village to make sweet potato starch and potato starch from sweet potatoes and potatoes. Two people for peeling and the other two for cutting. Another four people mashed and made the starch. This time, he didn't hire the people he had been hired before. Instead, he changed to several other people, who were also of good character and diligent in work. This way, he could maintain the balance in the village. The latter step was more critical. Qin Mian made the servants be in charge of it, not afraid of them revealing the secret.

Qin Mian and Lei Tie were responsible for the purchase of the potatoes and the sweet potatoes. Lei Tie checked and weighted, while Qin Mian kept accounts and paid the money.

After the matter was planned properly, Qin Mian had people release the news. If they purchased too many, it would be inconvenient to store. Therefore, they purchased once every two days.

This day, he came to the gate with his writing brush, ink, paper, and inkstone. Meanwhile, Lei Tie carried a box of copper coins that he specially went exchange in the town. Uncle Fu brought a set of tables and chairs and put them under the shade of the trees.

Early in the morning, the villagers harvested sweet potatoes and potatoes from their houses before coming to Leisurely Farm Residence and lined up at the gate. Summer was not the fruiting period of sweet potatoes. Most of these sweet potatoes were stored in their cellars in winter. The price was a little higher. The sixth lunar month was the ripening period of potatoes, and potatoes brought by many villagers were still stained with a bit of soil. At this time of the year, the farmers harvested potatoes. Having too much of it wouldn't worth money, so they never thought of selling. They just served it as a dish on their table. But now, Leisurely Farm Residence wanted to buy the potatoes, which they could exchange with money without even going out. Everyone was smiling.

The villagers happily chatted, asking each other how many potatoes and sweet potatoes they had brought, what they were going to do with the money, and so on. At this time, the Leisurely Farm Residence's gate was bustling like a grand gathering. A few naughty boys eagerly wanted to run to the farm residence, but they were scolded by their parents and obediently played at the gate.

"Everyone, please be quiet. Let me first talk about the price of the sweet potatoes and the potatoes," Qin Mian said in a loud voice as he stood on his chair.

Lei Tie saw that his wife was only half a head higher than him, and a smile flashed past in his eyes.

The villagers immediately quieted down for fear of losing money if they missed the pricing.

Qin Mian said, "Sweet potato is 1 Wen for half a jin; potato is 1 Wen for a jin. Because it's impossible for the weigh to be in a round number, I can't break a copper into several pieces either. Therefore, if there is any remnant at the time of checking out, we will give you the round number."

"What does it mean? The remnant... is denied?" A villager asked what everyone was doubting.

Qin Mian smiled, "For example, the weight of your potatoes is 20 jin and 7 liang, so the rounding is 21 jin. In short, if there is any remnant, it will be calculated to 1 Wen."

The villagers praised Qin Mian and Lei Tie for their kindness.