Chapter 112: Like Your Taciturn

"You three, help yourselves. If you have to be polite, it's you who won't be full. " Qin Mian scooped himself a bowl of preserved eggs and tofu.

Lei Xiangli said thanks and ate with his head down. Presumably, he wanted to turn his unhappiness into ravenousness.

"Eldest Sister-in-law's cooking is very delicious. I won't be polite," Lei Xiangzhi said with a smile.

Lei Chuntao was also very 'fierce'. She was embarrassed to get a second helping of rice, but Lei Xiangzhi helped her.

After the meal was finished, she rushed to wash the dishes.

Qin Mian wanted to say that Aunt Quan will come to wash the dishes but he could not speak in time, so gave up. Then, he sat down on the settee with Lei Tie, Lei Xiangli, and Lei Xiangzhi.

The settee was covered with a cooling mat, making it pleasantly cool.

The person concerned was here, Qin Mian couldn't help but care.

"Fourth Brother, what's going on?"

Lei Xiangli tersely said, "Mother wants me to marry my cousin from Eldest Uncle's family. I don't like her." There was another sentence he did not say: if I marry my cousin, she will be the second Zhao Shi.

"What are you going to do now?" Qin Mian asked.

"After talking to Father for a while, he didn't seem willing. So, this marriage shouldn't work." Lei Xiangli's low mood calmed down a little, "I'm worried that even if Mother gives up the idea of asking me to marry my cousin, she'll find for me... another wife, which also unreliable."

On the topic of marriage, the unmarried maiden Lei Chuntao couldn't join in the conversation. She ate the fruits with her head down.

As a man, Lei Xiangzhi carried himself with ease and confidence, "Fourth Brother doesn't have to be too worried about this. Mother will not deliberately find you a bad wife. No matter who she settles on, it won't be bad if you try to find out in secret."

Lei Xiangli looked quite helpless, "I've thought about it. Since Eldest (paternal) Aunt is warm-hearted but not as gossipy as other women in the village, when worst comes to worst, I'll shamelessly ask her for help." Marriage was a lifetime thing, he had to be meticulous.

Lei Xiangzhi nodded and said nothing. As the saying went, ''Thou shalt not share family scandals''. Even if their Eldest Aunt was a close relative, she was also an outsider. Now, his fourth brother's marriage was reduced to the point of asking for help from an outsider, making Lei Xiangzhi felt even more powerless toward his mother.

After a moment of silence, he made up his mind, "Fourth Brother, don't you and Third Brother want to separate? I can't mediate this matter now, but I promise you, after taking the college examination, I will persuade our parents to separate the family."

Lei Xiangli suddenly stood up with a surprised expression, "Really?"

"A gentleman's word [is trustworthy]," Lei Xiangzhi earnestly said.

"I thank you first." Lei Xiangli was much more at ease.

Lei Xiangzhi said, "We've been disturbing Eldest Brother and Eldest Sister-in-law for a long time. Shall we go back?"

Lei Xiangli and Lei Chuntao both nodded.

"Not going to sit for a while more?" Qin Mian asked.

"No more." Lei Xiangli was embarrassed as he said, "We've bothered Eldest Brother and Eldest Sister-in-law today. We'll see you some other day."