Chapter 128: A New Year

As the new year approached, Lei Tie had not slackened the training for the armed servants. He got up very early. After completing the daily training tasks, Lei Tie took solid food and brought the armed servants to the back of the mountain for field training. Great snow fluttered about these days, but the training did not stop at all. Lei-Qin Shun's group of nine did not understand why the Eldest Young Master trained them so strictly, yet no one asked questions. They all understood one truth: What they truly learned belonged to them.

The door of the house was tightly shut. Golden Fur lay beside the settee, sleeping in the dark. Qin Mian nestled in the settee with his back against Golden Fur and legs covered with woolen blankets serving as a table as he wrote on his notebook. A charcoal brazier was placed not far away. The charcoal was burning well and the flame was ablaze. The white residue of the burnt charcoal floated along with the flame and was blown away by the wind. The candles on the four corners were lit, setting off a warm and comfortable hue in the living room.

When there were too many things to do, Qin Mian used to write all the things on paper, which was more convenient to make the most reasonable arrangement. What he was arranging was the preparation before the New Year: who was responsible for the residence's sanitation, who was responsible to decorate Leisurely Farmhouse, who was responsible for purchasing New Year's goods, who was responsible for killing chickens and ducks, and so on. It was all clearly written. Last year, he and Lei Tie personally worked on all these things. This year, they just needed to be the Eldest Young Master and the Little Young Master.

The door of the central room was knocked before Aunt Fu's voice sounded, "Little Young Master, this old woman has something to see you."

"Come in."

As soon as Aunt Fu opened the door, the cold wind carrying snowflakes poured in. Qin Mian tightened the woolen blanket around his body.

Aunt Fu lowered her eyes and did not look around. After she dropped a curtsy, she said, "Little Young Master, recently, many people are asking about Lei-Qin Le, both overtly and secretly. After thinking about it, this old woman thinks you should be told as soon as possible."

"Lei-Qin Le?" Qin Mian's eyes moved away from the notebook and looked at her in puzzlement, "What's wrong with Lei-Qin Le?"

Aunt Fu discovered that the Little Young Master hadn't realized it. "Little Young Master, this old woman guesses this is what happened. The New Year's gifts for the workers in the winery and vermicelli workshop have been sent. Many villagers feel that our family is very generous to the employees and servants. That is, some families with the poor condition still have girls who haven't been matched..."

Qin Mian suddenly realized. Although he was the "master's wife", he was not a woman after all. He never considered this aspect. He remembered that Lei-Qin Le was 20 years old and would be 21 after the New Year. In this era, he was considered as an unmarried older young man. He clicked his tongue inwardly. It was not easy to be a master and still had to be responsible for the servants' marriages. Fortunately, Lei-Qin Le was the only one who had reached the age of marriage. Lei-Qin Shun and the others were still young; there were still a few years more for this talk.

"Did Lei-Qin Le ever mention it to you?"

"Never actually."

Qin Mian nodded, "I'm well aware of the situation. If people ask you again, you can tell them that Lei-Qin Le's wife must enter our family's servant registry. Aunt Fu, you can also understand without me saying it. There are so many secret recipes in our family that not anyone can come in."

Aunt Fu understood. "Little Young Master, please rest assured. This old woman knows how to say it."