The Heart of the Truest Believer

The wind blew around the ship as they travelled through the portal. Y/n had her hands tightly wrapped around a rope, keeping her from falling off the ship. Traveling between realms was something Y/n had done four times now, and she still didn't like the feeling of watching everything swirl around her as the times changed, the lands morphed, and the peoples differed as they crossed into a new world. A rift in the vortex was seen ahead, and Hook steered the ship in a sharp turn as the Jolly Roger flew through the exit, the portal closing behind them as they landed in the new oceans waters.

Day had turned to night, and the entire sky was coated in stars before everyone on the ship turned their attention to the shape in the distance. It was the only island they could see for miles and miles. It was dark, covered in fog and mist which shrouded it mostly and gave it an eerie feel. "Is that it?" Emma asked, all their eyes on the island.

"Aye. Neverland," Hook stated lowly.

The rest spread across the ship as Regina stayed by the helm, using her magic to move the wheel so they could get to the island faster. Y/n sheepishly walked herself over to the former Queen's side, gaining her attention. "What?" Regina questioned, looking her over with confusion on why she was there.

"Can I ask you something?" Y/n asked, and Regina nodded her head. "Your magic, how does it work, exactly? How did you... I guess, discover it?"

Regina gave her an odd look, before seeing the woman's twiddling thumbs before her. "You have magic, don't you?" When Y/n didn't answer, Regina gave a scoffing laugh. "Of course. With Emma being what she is, I find it hard to believe you wouldn't be born without it."

"That's part of the issue," Y/n said, looking to Regina, who furrowed her eyebrows.

"Issue?" she repeated the phrase.

"You know how Emma is gifted with light magic, being the savior and all?" Y/n reminded Regina, who nodded. "Well, it turns out the other twin gets the other side of that spectrum."

"You have dark magic?" Regina stated, and Y/n nodded. "How do you figure that?"

"On the day your mother... passed," Y/n began, making Regina shift slightly, "she had thrown fire at me, and in a state of panic, I threw my hands up to block it. I expected to feel the burn of the fire, but when I opened my eyes, there was a shimmering shield in front of my hands which... glowed red. When we retreated to Gold, he said that because Emma was born the savior it was impossible for me to be born with anything but dark magic."

"I wouldn't trust Rumple on anything like this," Regina said, looking out at the dark seas before turning to the nervous woman. "He manipulates, and he twists the truth to his benefit. You choose how you're magic turns out to be. In my case I... I chose the easy path. The path of darkness. That's something you don't have to do."

"Regina, I don't think I have a choice," Y/n claimed, and silently gestured down to Emma. "Emma has light magic whether she likes it or not. Me? I can only be dark."

"Like I said. Don't trust Gold," Regina repeated. "If you want, I can show you how to use it so you won't have to resort to his tactics."

"I appreciate that Regina, but I don't want to learn how to use this magic," Y/n stated, making Regina tilt her head.

"Then why come to me?"

Y/n took a breath and said, "Is there a way to get rid of it? Can I just... not use it, and let it dissipate?"

"With a magic I assume as powerful as yours, if you don't learn to control it, it will start to control you instead," Regina said, making Y/n worry. "Because you've opened that door, the more your emotions rise, the more powerful and pent up your magic will be, until one day it just... bursts free."