Chapter 2

Six months later...

"Happy Birthday Ria," Ria looked up to see who had come to wish her those words. It was the smiling Matron Helga. She came up behind Ria and Lacy, who were by the bay window playing a game of checkers. She came with a small present behind her back. The matron had just happened to hear Ria's birthday was today, by one of the orphans. And that day was also the day she was leaving, back for her home country for good.

Ria looked into the box she was given by the matron, and found a beautiful silver bracelet with a lovely small crucifix at the end of it. Ms. Helga was a spiritual person, and she always infused the orphans with good moral values and buoyancy.

"Wow!" Ria exclaimed, "It's so beautiful!"

"It's a little token of guidance," the kind matron replied, "I want you to look at this bracelet whenever you still feel like you're all alone in this world, Ria. Never forget that, God is always closest to a broken heart. He will always be there with you, when you need him."

"Thanks matron Helga," Ria acknowledged, looking delighted at the gift she wore around her wrist. The matron had gathered all her things in her suitcase and was going to the airport that afternoon. Everyone had given her a farewell earlier that day, but that evening she felt she had to give something to Ria too, before she left. All the children were very sad to see her go. "Uhm, Ms. Helga? I know that........ the 7th of March isn't my real birthday, but........... do you know why it is?"

"Honestly Ria, I don't know either," the matron replied, "But the first time I came into this orphanage was six years ago, I remember you were very small back then. I came with Matron Ila but had to go away for another three years. From what I know, Old Mrs. Mal, found you outside the orphanage gate, they said that you must've wandered far from home and got lost. No one knew where you came from or ever came around to.......get you so, Matron Mal thought of bringing you in as part of our wonderful family." It made her wonder if she ever had a home and about the person who might've left her to wander off. "As for your birthday, Matron Mal did not say it was the date she found you. But, I think it might've been the day they made you a new birth certificate."

Vveeepveep! They all heard a taxi on the driveway, honking the horn. "Well, I better get going then." Ria looked at the kind matron, and wished she never had to leave, "You girls take care of yourselves now."
They both watched her wave her last goodbye, before getting into the yellow taxi.

"Why are you still standing there?" a stern voice asked from the stairs. "Aren't you two supposed to be helping out with the cooking in the kitchen?"

"We've just finished the baking, Ms. Ila," Ria replied.

"Well that leaves you some time to take out all the bins in the rooms," she replied. "Go on then. If you think you can spend the rest of the day lazing away, I don't think so." She walked towards her office, while the two girls looked at one another with a sad expression. Ria took the lead up the stairs while Lacy followed.

••••••

One Saturday morning, while everyone was having their breakfast in the dining hall, the doorbell rang. Matron Olive, then went to get the door.
As Ria took out the trash after her breakfast, she went out to the front yard and she saw a shiny black car, parked on the driveway. She looked to the front door and saw a man in a nice suit talking with Ms. Olive. She then heard Ms. Olive call out to Matron Ila. After leaving the trash by the gate, Ria walked up to the porch where she passed the tall man. He looked very important in his suit and he had a large badge below his left shoulder that read O.C.S. The man smiled at her and saw how curious she was looking at his badge.