Chapter 32

Things started off smoothly on Monday, that week. From the morning till the afternoon, school was school and Ria went through it without a problem. That day, they received some brochures and saw posters in the hallways that were meant for the seniors. They were college and university brochures. Some day that same week, the school was also going to organize a little careers day in the gym. Although most of the students in a private school like Glenroy, had their rich parents plan out the future for them, the school still encouraged students to choose the right career paths for themselves.

While Korene and Sky headed off to Beffles after school that afternoon, Ria took a ride on the tram downtown. She rode through the city towards the Norton Law firm building where she got off at the Bransen boardwalk. She arrived to the building and rode the elevator up to the top floor. Ria met Lynn at her office cubicle and found her with a lot of files and papers on her desk.

"Ria, you're here!" she greeted.

"Hi Lynn, you're lookin' busy there," Ria said.

"Oh, the paperwork!" Lynn gave a sigh. "If you ever think of becoming a law clerk? I advice you not to."

"I'll keep that in mind," Ria nodded with a laughing smile. "So all twelve files are there? I'll just get back to where I left off." She pointed to the small desk in the corner before she headed towards it. Lynn nodded her way while holding a telephone to her ear to respond to a call. Ria sat herself at her small desk and began her work that afternoon.

Her eyes scanned through the pages and along every line; rubbing eyes, tapping feet and nervously biting nails. She had taken in about two cans of soda, and made several loo visitations.

"....Atkinson residence caught fire in.....mmm......date September 20th........victims: 14 year old Alma and 21 year old Stanwell Broody...... hhmm," she mumbled to herself. She had spent two hours at her desk and going through her third file that evening. Lynn came up to remind her of the time and Ria looked at her phone to see that it was already eight o'clock.

"How many files did you look through today?" Lynn asked.

"Uhm, three," Ria answered before she closed the file in front of her. She grabbed her bag and stood up to leave.

"Want a ride home?"

"Sure, thanks," Ria replied.

"Wait for me at the sidewalk," Lynn said before heading to the parking lot while Ria rode the elevator all the way down to the ground floor. She walked out of the building through the main doors and surprisingly found Hayne, waiting for her. He was standing with folded arms in his school teams' pullover and jeans, leaning against the rear end of his jeep.

"What are you doing here?" Ria questioned with disappointment.

"Mom wanted me to pick you up, so I'm here on her orders," he answered. Then at that moment Lynn came around in her red Chevrolet.

"Oh Hayne's here!" Lynn exclaimed after she wound down her car window. "I was just about to give her a ride home. But I see, you must be here to do just that."

"Yea," Hayne replied, giving repeated glances towards Ria. The look on her face was not pleased, at seeing him there at all.

"So I'll see you tomorrow Ria?" Lynn asked.

".....uh....sure. I'll see you tomorrow. Thanks again Lynn," Ria waved before the young woman drove away.

Ria turned back to Hayne with folded arms and a grimace on her face.

"You must be so frustrated after having to miss hanging out with your buddies tonight," she stated.

"Nah, I won't meet them till later tonight," he replied.