Chapter 49

Meghan Harber had her laundry basket under her arm and was headed to do some Sunday laundry that afternoon.

"Mrs. Harber let me take that down for you," Sheila said when she appeared out of the kitchen.

"No need Sheila, I've got this," she smiled.

"I already make steak and put gravy on for dinner," the Indian lady replied.

"Thank you so much,"

"I'll be cleaning pool house if you need me hah," Sheila replied before going back into the kitchen. Mrs. Harber walked across the living room and entered the theater room where her husband sat at his favourite spot on the lounge chair, watching an exciting rugby game live with a few Heineken beers on the coffee table before him.

"Who's playing?" she asked.

"Barbarians and the Jaguars," he answered with eyes on the screen. Meanwhile, Ria was sitting in the chaise lounge reading messages on her phone and didn't seem to be disturbed by the loud surround sound speakers and Mr. Harber's cheers and remarks. "I was just telling Ria here, a couple of rules of the game."

"Are you sure you don't wanna just leave her alone?" Mrs. Harber questioned.

"Oh I'm paying attention Mrs. Harber, I don't mind. I like the company. Besides, I'm tired of being stuck in both my room and the study," Ria smiled before turning to the screen. "So, who's taking the lead this time?"

"The Jaguars captain just made a successful penalty kick and got them ahead in the game by three points," Mr. Harber answered.

"Hhm..." Ria nodded, "So that's 3 points for a successful penalty kick?"

"Yep," he replied. Few seconds later Hayne entered the room to join his Dad on the lounge.

"Jaguars in the lead? The Barbarians better work on their discipline from the last game if they wanna keep from being penalised," he remarked before grabbing some cheese balls in the bowl on the short table. James Harber was surprised to see his son walk in and sit for the game, while Ria gave him a side glance and pretended to look back into her phone.

"Hello?" Hayne answered his phone after it rang in his pocket thrice. ".....hey Jake.........oh uh...nah I'm good I'm actually watching it at home right now...........yeah this is gonna be one decider to who goes into the quarters.................he did? Well I'll meet you guys tomorrow and see how that goes........"

"You sure you not coming over?" Jake asked again.

"Nah, it takes ten minutes to get to your place man and by the time I make it there it's halftime.......okay, sure no problem......you guys have fun," Hayne said before he hung up to get back to watching the game.

"You're not going over to Brian's or Jake's today?" Mrs. Harber asked her son with squinting eyes as she also wondered why her son was, for the first time in a long time, spending a Sunday afternoon to watch a rugby game in the theater room.

"Nah I thought I'd stick around and watch the game here," he said before slowly taking his eyes off the screen when he noticed them glaring at him. "What?"

"No no, nothing, it's just ah...." his Dad said trying not to sound too emotional as Mrs. Harber had noticed, "I guess I've just gotten used to watching these games alone with your mom cheering for the opposing team."

"Oh, she still does that?" Hayne asked.

"I like teasing your Dad," she replied. "And I think Jaguars is looking like a pretty good team." Mr. Harber rolled his eyes at that.

"Hhm, I think so too," Ria added in a small voice.

"What?! Not you too Ria," Mr. Harber replied.