Chapter 22

Hayne walked back to the Nike outlet and waited for Brian, who was taking his time to cross the road.

"Dude, what was that all about?" he asked with a disappointed face.

"What?" Brian smirked.

"What were you- ........ah, never mind. Let's just go look for some shoes," Hayne replied, brushing away what he was about to say. They entered the expensive, classy sports gear store and found the other guys by the ball section. They took down some displayed rugby balls to pass around and went over to try the tackle equipment.

"So what do you think of that Ria girl?" Brian meant to ask Hayne as they looked for some shoes.

"What about her?"

"She seems kinda cute," Brian shrugged.

"If you say so," Hayne replied as he continued looking up at the footwear displayed. He took down a pair of black with lime green striped canvas, to try on. Then he studied the look it gave to his feet as he stepped one foot up on the platform. "You should ask her out."

"Hhm..." Brian pretended to sound thoughtful.

"Maybe then you'll also find how she'll drive you annoying-crazy too," he added.

"Interesting....... So you think I shouldn't?"

"If you want to, bro," Hayne stated, "Why are we even wasting our breath talking about her?! Can we focus on how sick these babies are on my feet!" Suddenly his phone vibrated in the pocket of his brown jeans. Hayne quickly reached in to answer the call, he read the name on the screen before finally giving it a swipe, "Hey Demi..." His voice trailed off as he walked away from the boys who gave him their cunning smiles. They all knew it was another one of Hayne's mystery mistresses, apart from Alesia. Three minutes later, Brian saw Hayne come up to him with his ear still stuck to the phone. "....boy do I wanna see what you got on right now..." Brian heard Hayne say in his sexy deep voice, and he shook his head at him after a short chuckle. "....she doesn't know........ Oh, you will? Well how 'bout next spring break then?............ You can't? Well that's too bad........... Gotta go......... Yea you too." Finally he put his phone back into his pocket and found Brian folding his arms at him.

"Demi's still calling you? Even after she moved to Paris?" Brian cocked an eyebrow while Hayne gave him a small shrug. "Alesia will not be too happy to hear about that."

"Hey, she can leave me if she wants to. I'm not stopping her," Hayne replied.

"Yea. But she's crazy enough to stick around," Brian said, "With that obsession she has over you. Don't you find it scary at all?"

"Obsession?" Hayne denied with a disapproving face.

"Hiring a guy to snap shots of you at your house, back at freshman year?" Brian reminded. "That's creepy, dude. And she pulled that other cheerleader's weave when you gave her your number!"

"That's what every other junior girl back then would have done,"

"Yea right," Brian replied sarcastically. "I can still picture that face of hers she made every time you were with Rachel. The look of total-" Brian stopped his tongue when he found Hayne giving him a serious frown that almost looked like a look of fury. So he suddenly changed the subject of his conversation. "Anyways........you gonna come by with the beers tomorrow night? Coz Tate wanted to bring these Japanese booze."

".....not even sure if I can be there," Hayne replied, "Alesia's family white party's also happening tomorrow."

"Ditch it,"

"I already did that to the last one!"

"Think about it Hayne," Brian said coming up to his shoulders, "Partying at home with some of the hottest girls, or yawning away in a formal boring party with the company of old people?"